Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided to get rid of my front US bumpers (and rears, also)and swap out to euro bumpers so I thought I would show what an easy job it is to swap bumpers. Well it is very easy to swap the bumpers but a heck of a lot harder to prep and paint everything to match. I spent about 12 hours preparing the euro bumper (front) with sanding and primer.

I used a plastic primer up front after sanding everything with 600 grit wet, followed by sandible primer, worked it down to almost the bare bumper plastic, followed by the plastic primer. After that I layed down 2 coats of sandible primer, more 600 grit wet, followed by a bath of water and a wet rag, then more primer and wet sanding. Followed up with a primer sealer from Kragen and then a wet sand. Used a small amount of rubbing alcohol and a clean cotton towel followed by a tack cloth, then sprayed the color coat (3 of them). Let it dry for 45 minutes, then hit it with 5 coats of very heavy clear coat acrylic enamel.

Bought everything for the paint at Automotivetouchup in Louisiana which took about 10 days to get the paint to me in California. It is all in spay cans which scares a bunch of folks, but it was worth it to me since I could also hit my rear spoiler with the left over color. Took about $88.00 to do the front bumpers (primer and paper not included). Primer and paper was probably about $60.00 off the shelf at your local big box.

Guys, you can not get custom paint cans (aerosol) here in California anymore. It sucks that you have to get it via the net, but at least you can get it. You can still get the water based cans of paint for a gun, but not custom 12 oz cans of spray paint here in my county.

My front bumper (US) is going to a good home, but if anyone in the greater LA, San Diego wants the US Lorinser rear let me know (free). Tuetone always gets first pick, but don't think this is his bag.

I will show the results in morning. I may have said the wrong bolt and nut size in the past, but tonight I used a 15 mm box end to start to loosen the 3 US nuts for the bumper removal. (2 Euro nuts to tighten when replacing). Don't forget the fog light cords on the sec. Hope the pics help.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Euro 350SL Lorisner, 73 450SL AMG Clone
1,152 Posts
I have decided to get rid of my front US bumpers (and rears, also)and swap out to euro bumpers so I thought I would show what an easy job it is to swap bumpers. Well it is very easy to swap the bumpers but a heck of a lot harder to prep and paint everything to match. I spent about 12 hours preparing the euro bumper (front) with sanding and primer.

I used a plastic primer up front after sanding everything with 600 grit wet, followed by sandible primer, worked it down to almost the bare bumper plastic, followed by the plastic primer. After that I layed down 2 coats of sandible primer, more 600 grit wet, followed by a bath of water and a wet rag, then more primer and wet sanding. Followed up with a primer sealer from Kragen and then a wet sand. Used a small amount of rubbing alcohol and a clean cotton towel followed by a tack cloth, then sprayed the color coat (3 of them). Let it dry for 45 minutes, then hit it with 5 coats of very heavy clear coat acrylic enamel.

Bought everything for the paint at Automotivetouchup in Louisiana which took about 10 days to get the paint to me in California. It is all in spay cans which scares a bunch of folks, but it was worth it to me since I could also hit my rear spoiler with the left over color. Took about $88.00 to do the front bumpers (primer and paper not included). Primer and paper was probably about $60.00 off the shelf at your local big box.

Guys, you can not get custom paint cans (aerosol) here in California anymore. It sucks that you have to get it via the net, but at least you can get it. You can still get the water based cans of paint for a gun, but not custom 12 oz cans of spray paint here in my county.

My front bumper (US) is going to a good home, but if anyone in the greater LA, San Diego wants the US Lorinser rear let me know (free). Tuetone always gets first pick, but don't think this is his bag.

I will show the results in morning. I may have said the wrong bolt and nut size in the past, but tonight I used a 15 mm box end to start to loosen the 3 US nuts for the bumper removal. (2 Euro nuts to tighten when replacing). Don't forget the fog light cords on the sec. Hope the pics help.

Greg
Greg,

Thats going to look great, I can't wait until Sat to see it. That is going to be my next job on the car prep for paint. I have to install the new fender,strip the car install the new drivers door, then Sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand and sand,

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
even more...I am a bit proud of the engine clean, so I had to show one of the motor in the last batch....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ross, I am going to let the tow hook cover flap for a few days 'till I cut the hook down. I want a (no excuse) hook if I need a tow truck driver to hook my car up a flat bed. I think if i weld in a simple "J" hook where I cut the circle off, there should be ne excusses for a tow company to use it.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
41,035 Posts
Hi Greg, looks good. All SEC Euro bumpers I have seen so far had the spray nozzles for the head light wipers.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kirk (aroundthescenes) I really think I am going in the right direction with this SEC. That is why it made sense that the rear AMG spoiler goes your way with the Wald kit (LOVE THE WALD). The rear bumper and spoiler is a bit too small on what I am putting on my car so the 3rd brake light would have looked too big on my "small" rear bumper. Really, can't wait to see it on your WALD SEC!

Greg

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Greg, looks good. All SEC Euro bumpers I have seen so far had the spray nozzles for the head light wipers.
Cheers
Hey Tuetone! Horst! Pulled this off of an 85 SEC so that it wouldn't have the sprayer on the chrome. I do like the clean lines of no sprayer on the bumper. After what Cascade posted as to how much it cost for euro wipers I have decided I am going to keep the clean look of no wipers.Dang, over a couple grand for euro lights and washers, I would rather buy a new car for that!

More pics coming!

Greg

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If any one is interested, some of the AMG stuff will be sold off next week. The 3rd brake light spoiler is already going to a very good home as well as the US front US SEC bumper. I have one US AMG rear skirt (bumper) and 2 rear euro AMG skirts (bumper). The two front AMG bumper spoilers are euro gen I. My preference is LA and San Diego local buyers so that shipping is not involved...

Greg

Attachments

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
Greg, I installed the Euro bumper on my 560 this summer and of course I had the issue with the tow hook sticking way past the cover flap. If you take a look at the tow hook part, you'll see its really a horizontal "O" welded to a vertical "O". If you simply cut the horizontal "O" which is what sticks out, you'll still have a point for a towing. I went ahead and used a Dremel and cut that sucker out of there and fitted the tow hook cover perfectly:thumbsup:

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
I went ahead and used a Dremel and cut that sucker out of there and fitted the tow hook cover perfectly:thumbsup:
Ditto.

BTW, I don't think the nozzle in the chrome is a year thing. You could get gen1 cars with, or without the headlight wipers. If no wipers, no need for sprayers/nozzles.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,492 Posts
Greg,
Just cut off the ring and ring legs of the tow hook then it is the exact same as as on a Euro, they don't use a round eye, just the center portion of the tow hook assy. For export they just weld the eye and legs to the euro tow hook. (looks something like this =O) or you can just cut off the O part.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Charlie and Doc. Just went out and looked at the tow hook. It is exactly like Charlie Had illustrated. Gonna cut the circle completly off with the old dremel. Markus, you are right about the bumper nozzles being a model year thing. I think pre 84 was nozzle from what I have come across at the yards.

Has anyone in California bought a custom can of aerosol spray paint where you live. I almost think it may be a county thing where they won't sell the new paint in a spray can since the new laws came into play January 1st this year.

·
Registered
1978 Euro 350SL Lorisner, 73 450SL AMG Clone
1,152 Posts
Greg,
Just cut off the ring and ring legs of the tow hook then it is the exact same as as on a Euro, they don't use a round eye, just the center portion of the tow hook assy. For export they just weld the eye and legs to the euro tow hook. (looks something like this =O) or you can just cut off the O part.
I had to cut off my tow hook to put on the wald kit.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Thanks Charlie and Doc. Just went out and looked at the tow hook. It is exactly like Charlie Had illustrated. Gonna cut the circle completly off with the old dremel. Markus, you are right about the bumper nozzles being a model year thing. I think pre 84 was nozzle from what I have come across at the yards.

Has anyone in California bought a custom can of aerosol spray paint where you live. I almost think it may be a county thing where they won't sell the new paint in a spray can since the new laws came into play January 1st this year.
Chadahar beat me to it! I've got both cars and was going to point that out. I also believe you're correct with the EPA regs by county. Up here in Sacramento it's a low VOC county but if you tell the counter guys you live in a county out in the sticks then you get the nod for the stuff that kills homeless people when they huff it.

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,598 Posts
My euro sec does't have nozzles or wipers. Just picked up a euro rear apron at the JY the other day. Yours look great too. Do you happen to have trunk spoiler? (one skinny one w/o the light)

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
great job on the sec kodiakj2 I picked up a set of bumpers from a 1985 380SEL at the pick-n-pull in Nashville. I have them stuffed in the barn for future use. I dont mean to sound stupid but I am diggin those wheels and tires you have on there. what are they? I sure would like to have a set of those wheels. what size tires are you running on them. they look awesome on your car. the color of your car makes them stand out very well in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
great job on the sec kodiakj2 I picked up a set of bumpers from a 1985 380SEL at the pick-n-pull in Nashville. I have them stuffed in the barn for future use. I dont mean to sound stupid but I am diggin those wheels and tires you have on there. what are they? I sure would like to have a set of those wheels. what size tires are you running on them. they look awesome on your car. the color of your car makes them stand out very well in my opinion.
Thanks for the compliments. I figure I should have the car to my tastes by Christmas.

The Lorinser RS90 rims are 17x8 front and 17x 8 1/2 rear. Front sumitoma tires are 235 45 17 and the rears are 255 40 17. I lowered the car 1 1/2 inches all around but am going to lower the front another 1/4 inch next week when I rebuild the rest of the front suspension.

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier but the front spoilers in the pics are for sedans. I don't have any more trunk spoilers available right now. The big 3rd brake light spoiler is coming of and the early eighties flater one is going on.

Greg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts