Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 380SEC is having some engine problems (rings seem to be stuck) and instead of a rebuild I was thinking about swapping in a Euro spec 500 longblock that I've located. I believe it was pulled from an '84/85 SE

I've searched the forums a bit about the subject but was still wondering what, if any, accessories from the 380 could I use? I know the exhaust manifolds are different, anything else?

Also, from what I read this is a direct "bolt in" swap, yes?

The car has a bit of sentimental value but I really don't want to get into a complete rebuild right now if I don't have to.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know patience is a virtue, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying not to lay down any cash until I know what's what.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
a few odds and ends could be used, but for the most part you want all the 500 bits.

Fuel/spark is different.. alt is same, p/s'ing is the same.

running a pretty wicked fever @ the moment so I may be missing something :p

jono

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response.

It has everything accept the alt, ac, steering, smog, and manifolds. As long as I can get the intake, tb, fuel distributor, injectors etc should I be good to go...or is there some wiring and other things that I should be looking for also?

Again, thanks for help and I hope you get to feeling better.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Thanks for the response.

It has everything accept the alt, ac, steering, smog, and manifolds. As long as I can get the intake, tb, fuel distributor, injectors etc should I be good to go...or is there some wiring and other things that I should be looking for also?

Again, thanks for help and I hope you get to feeling better.
----------------------
The Euro will have an oil cooler circuit on the oil filter housing DO NOT BLOCK THOSE PORTS! The Euro will also have a different water pump/thermostat housing. The accessories will cross
and the fuel and ignition of the 380 will run the 500. If you have an o2 sensor and want to use the feedback loop you will have to bugger that on. If you didn't know, a 380 is an underbored 500

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,079 Posts
I never saw a oil cooler circuit on a Gen I 500. In Germany they are only known for the 560 :confused: If a 500 has the cooler, then it must be a us spec car, but if comes from a euro spec, it shouldn´t have one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts