Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

do these bumpers and headlights indicate this is a euro car?

vin #10702412022320

instrument cluster is also in km/h car was purchased in canada.

any feedback is appreciated, thanks for the help.

car is in great running shape with only 98xxx km which is around 61xxx miles i beleive, body is another issue(rust) in the process of purchasing solid roller and using the fresh motor. cost of floors and rockers is too much.

-robert

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,845 Posts
I believe that it is not an easy task to differentiate a Euro 8.8:1 compression 4.5 car from a US Spec 8:1 compression 4.5 r/c107 car. Both have a VIN starting with 107044. I recently found what I believe is a Euro 4.5 SL state side on eBay, and put it in the "I found this on eBay/CL" thread. Some of the things that helped us to identify it as a Euro were the Import plate on the door jamb, and the Euro features (all of which could just be swapped by an owner). The Import plate should mention something about how the car was tested/certified for US DOT specifications. The "USiFuckation" of the cars could include multiple things, including both headlight and bumper changes. Apparently the Euro bumpers could be reinforced, but maybe the importer would prefer to just put the tank bumpers instead.

It is VERY common for a US Spec car owner to install Euro headlights. I have done it on my US Spec 1973, which also has small bumpers, just like a Euro, but it has the vertical "bumperettes" which hopefully helps people identify it as a US Spec 4.5, not a Euro. Mine looks more Euro than the car mentioned (at least with the information I see in this thread).

Edit: I should have mentioned that I believe the SLC VIN would follow the same 4.5L = 107024 regardless of US or Euro. (not just the SL 107044)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be Canadian? Just curious? I agree the KMPH speedo makes me think Euro.
it is canadian i purchased car from a gentleman who bought it in canada...are the us and canadian cars virtually identical? i didnt know if we got the same cars as the canadians but just different gauges...lights are original, car has low miles and not much in the department of cosmetic upgrade.

thanks for all the help guys, new to the 107 and would love any and all knowledge that is thrown my way

·
Outstanding Contributor
21,845 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can anyone help with the vin? i have tryed a few sites and seem to find nothing, the vin number is weird, i tryed adding 000 but it didnt work either

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,108 Posts
First off....fill in your profile.

Second....it probably is a Canadian version.

The cluster would be in KMs for Canada and the Euro lights were accepted in Canada a LONG time ago which is why the Euro lenses used to be dirt cheap here.

The 5 mph bumper would have been required in Canada as well as the US and A.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts