Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eureka, Found my Vacuum leak !!! in the AC VENTS!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I am so happy right now its sick. I 've been blabbing and complaining all year long about how I have a noise coming from my rear passenger quarter panel and found out it was the secondary vacuum pump.The only reason the Vacuum Pump in the rear would make a noise that would last longer than 15 seconds is due to a vacumm leak...oh man. I waited out the winter to rip apart the car as I followed the lines from the back to the front.

Scarred deathly at the thought of doing this I read up on all of the articles and posts as well as hints from owners and 110% thanx to the Parts department at Helms Bros. Mercedes in Bayside,NY for there tech help and always helpful "you may not want to touch that" red flags.

The farthest i have ever taken off somethin in the front of the car was the steering wheel, gauge cluster and the centerconsole wood.

Holy crap today off came the whole dashboard assembly... and center console.

More of my car is inside the house than on the car!!!

after testing each and every single vacuum solenoid or distributor block around the car I finally came upon one that did not hold pressure above 4PSI I cranked and I would hear the HISSSS-HISSS of the lever failing to move. I had a blank look in my face like "wow is this it, can this really be it the answer to my leak!"

...Well I disconnected the thing and took it to the parts dept at Helms. Problem is that their system showed a microfische with three identical images in the place where the part belongs and that is because there are four vacuum solenoids in a 8inch radius. One I knew could be it since it is positioned 90 degrees to the other three so that eliminated that one. Another Refered to the foot a/c so it was then down to part 100 and 102.

I ordered part 100 and Upon getting home I ended up seeing that it may have been part 102 . Called up Parts and had them order both.

Parts will come in on tuesday after memorial day. Since we are not sure which it is looks like I am going to be bringing the car itself to Helms Bros. just the way it is all stripped. I know the Gauge Cluster and the Airbags have to be plugged in to prevent a CEL and SRS code what else would have to be plugged in to keep from those lighting up? I don't need the radio (have code and the drive is only 5 min)

I don't know if I will make a write up of how I found the leak being that I would have to take pictures now after its all apart. I'll have to see.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Dude; your write up was great. I could feel your giddiness and excitement all in one.
Good for you man, good for you!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I am giving you guys a 100% write up much like the one online if not better because the GF needs me to take her to Conneticut tommorow for a sold out billy joel concert.

There are 4 cars at the house...

My dad's W163 99 ML320 <MAF was Replaced last month, only thing to fail at 40K>, which my dad nor I hate putting miles on. Driven on weekends only

My project car W124 89 300E <Not registered, and exhaust assembly came off in earlier this month with my bare hands as it rusted itself off the car. Damn M103 engine is freakin' loud!!!>

Storing and driving my friends 90' Porsche 944S2 Cabriolet.<Too far of a drive to be driving my buddy's car which needs work>

And then there's my trusty but in pieces W202 95 C280 which I literally can say is sitting just as much in my room as it is in my backyard.

Looks like tommorow around 6AM I have to make an express reinstallation of the whole car in about 1/3 of the time it took to take it apart. That means monday morning Me and my Canon digital camera are going one on one again with the taking apart of the car. Many many pics soon to come and one hell of a write up.

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 4 speed manual, 1994 C280
229 Posts
Torrem3- Did you have a whistle sound from the dash when you turned on the AC? Can you post a scehmatic of the vac line connections to the vac pump in the back? Thanks, I'm looking forward to the write up as it sounds like that is where I'm heading!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics are in for the disassembly are in now its is time for the editing

THe vacuum element solenoid came it today so I am putting it together again tommorow

·
Registered
1995 C280
72 Posts
Good job torrem3

How long did it take you to disassemble the dash?
How much did the vacuum element cost you?

I have a leak as well and I think I need to do this pretty soon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cool, im also looking forward to see that write up with photos. I had to replace the valve and evaporator from behing the dash and everything also came out, but i was not the one who did the job, it was my mechanic as i didnt have any place where i can do this :(
Just for labor i payed around $375 :crybaby2:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The vacuum element cost me around $48 dollars I think.

Dash Disassembly took in reality One Hr the first time. 1.5 to 2hrs for the reassembly as fitment and patience is key to everything lining up.
Also scrathing my head a little upon seeing that there is one bolt under neath the knee bolster on the right side that so help my god took about 10 minutes to line up and you need such a deep screwdriver that I ended up replacing it with a #8 3inch screw with a 2inch spacer vs the 1incher so it would be easier on the screwdriver and the line up of the driver with the bolt

I haven't installed it yet since I am waiting on another part to come in. When I put the car back together again Everything fit perfectly Before, some things didn't quite line Up and I always wondered whether someone had disassembled the car. I found broken glass next behind the dash....leading me to the conclusion the Windshield had been replaced and it had.

BTW when I went to pick up the vacuum elemnt fron the dealer ship I showed up with just the steering wheel, aigbag and the Gauge cluster strapped to the center column. Ridiculously funny when otherpplz went to pick up parts and looked inside the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts