Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Ml320 with all the ETS/BAS/ABS lights on. Happens only on cold starts in cold days, and after the car warms up sufficiently and I restart it, the lights go out. MIL is on afterwards. Using a pro level scanner to check the codes of the module I cannot get access to the ETS module. It simply doesn’t appear accessible. After having read quite a bit I suspect this is the culprit. Wanting to know where the ETS module is, as I’ve seen different info about it being mounted to the abs pump and then other info that says it’s under or in the fuse box.

Any help is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,839 Posts
Up to model 2002 traction systems module is in the fuse box. From model 2003 it is mounted to hydraulic unit.

What scanner are you using?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I’m using a icarsoft mb v2.0.

I’m able to read all sorts of codes (P codes B codes) except for C codes. When I manually try to read the ESP module it says there is a link error, although the lights on my IC briefly flash like it’s making a link, but then go out once the error message is displayed.

I’m pretty sure the module is attached to the ABS pump as I don’t see anything in the fuse box resembling a ESP module.

Is there some production designation that would tell me where the module is for sure? I’m guessing that being that my car is an 02, it might have been made after the time that MB stopped putting the module in the fuse box.

Thanks so much for your input. I guess if I can’t determine it remotely I’ll pull the light assembly out and visually inspect the back of the abs module for the ESP module.

Thanks,

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,839 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I’ll post a list tonight. Thanks for the link you sent. That looks like what would be in the fuse box right? Issue is I don’t see one like that in my fuse box. I can’t tell without taking out the headlight but I’m thinking the module is mounted to the abs pump.

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,110 Posts
You have to remove the screws, pull out the fusebox cover to be able to see it. It will be next to the ECM.
Plus get a proper scanner like the Autel MD802 elite All system. Icarsoft is not good enough

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve ordered an Autel scanner. I’ll scan the car again with it and post any findings. In the meanwhile I was able to use the icarsoft to get the following fault codes from the BAS module:

C1010, C1025, C1202, C1207

From other modules:

P2036, P20CC, B1040, b1041, b1042

Also, took off driver side headlight to check the module attached to the ABS pump and saw the following inscription on it:

MCU4ESP 344164

In reading C, B and P code descriptions from these forums it looks like I might have a bad ESP/BAS module, ECM Module, bad brake light switch (replaced a year ago as part of a recall campaign), or all the above.

Am I way off here? Thank you all.

PS. Also, I’ve never had this car scanned before (while I’ve been the owner) so there’s a chance that these codes have stacked up in time. Most of them show “historic” in the scanner, with only a few of them showing as “current”. Is it worth clearing the codes and then driving and then rechecking to see what comes back?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,839 Posts
I’ve ordered an Autel scanner. I’ll scan the car again with it and post any findings. In the meanwhile I was able to use the icarsoft to get the following fault codes from the BAS module:

C1010, C1025, C1202, C1207

From other modules:

P2036, P20CC, B1040, b1041, b1042

Also, took off driver side headlight to check the module attached to the ABS pump and saw the following inscription on it:

MCU4ESP 344164

In reading C, B and P code descriptions from these forums it looks like I might have a bad ESP/BAS module, ECM Module, bad brake light switch (replaced a year ago as part of a recall campaign), or all the above.

Am I way off here? Thank you all.

PS. Also, I’ve never had this car scanned before (while I’ve been the owner) so there’s a chance that these codes have stacked up in time. Most of them show “historic” in the scanner, with only a few of them showing as “current”. Is it worth clearing the codes and then driving and then rechecking to see what comes back?

That is not going to fly.

List codes by control module with full description. As in:

ME 2.8 Engine control module.
P0100 "your mother says you are ugly"
P0410 "she does not blow hard enough"
P0400 "she does have regurgitation issues"
👻

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good evening, so I got the autel scanner (much better than the icarsoft by the way which I’ve returned). Scanned the car today and here are the results:

Read Codes
P2300 Stored
CAN communication with other control units installed in this vehicle is not possible. ( Bus OFF fault )

Read Codes
P200D-1 MIL ON&Stored
G3/4 (Right O2 sensor, before TWC [KAT]): Aging, period too long (P0133)
P207E-1 MIL ON&Stored
The efficiency of the left catalytic converter is insufficient.(function chain) (P0432)
P200B-1 MIL ON&Stored
The efficiency of the right catalytic converter is insufficient.(function chain) (P0422)
P2068 MIL ON&Stored
Fault is stored in component N15/3 (ETC [EGS] control unit). (P0720)
P202C-8
MIL ON&Stored&Current
Coolant thermostat (P0128)
P20CC-8 Stored
'Rough road detection' signal (by comparing wheel speeds): Speed signal from control module ESP implausible / Read out fault memory of control unit ESP. (P1999)

Read Codes
C1140-12 Stored
N49 (Steering angle sensor)
C1140-10 Stored
The coding for component N49 (Steering angle sensor) is faulty.
C1140-16 Stored
N49 (Steering angle sensor) : Data transfer faulty or not carried out
C1140-8 Stored
Component N49 (Steering angle sensor) is not initialized.
C1102-007 Stored
L6/3 (left rear speed sensor)
C1200 Stored
S9/1 (Stop lamp switch) : Plausibility
C1401 Stored
A7/3m1 (High pressure and return pump)
C1000 Stored
N47-5 (ESP, SPS [PML] and BAS control unit)
C1010 Stored
Terminal 87 undervoltage
C1012 Stored
ESP control unit terminal 87 overvoltage
C1314 Stored
Component A7/3 (Traction system hydraulic unit): Test voltage supply of solenoid valves.
C1022 Stored
Fault in CAN communication with control unit N3/10 (ME-SFI [ME] control unit).

Read Codes
B1318-003 Stored
The component or the signal line to the component S68/11 (Left rear seatbelt buckle switch) has Open circuit or Short circuit to positive.
B1010 Stored
N2/7 (Restraint systems control unit) : Undervoltage at terminal 15R/15

So what do we think? Looks to me like the N45-7 issue is the ETS module failure. The A7/3 is the abs pump so that looks like the solenoid pack has failed or is failing. Still getting a brake light switch code although it was recently changed (and in live data reading from the scanner it appears functional and responsive when brake is depressed). Not sure what to make of the steering angle sensor and the rear left wheel speed sensor. Then there is the issue of the “undervoltage” which I don’t understand.

Any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,839 Posts
Any help is very much appreciated.

Clear all faults, turn key off for at least 10 seconds then back on and reread. Maintain battery during scans. Low voltage will trigger CAN communication faults.

Since problem occurs during cold start you need to find out what happens with battery during cranking. Most volt meters do not have fast enough response. Dedicated battery tester or battery monitor is needed.

Here are couple of screenshots from battery monitor. Vehicle parked overnight. Voltage just before start 12.65 V.

Screenshot_20191123-113513.png

Here is more detailed view. First two seconds of engine start. Voltage drops to 10.56 V.

Screenshot_20191123-113350.png

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you - any suggestion on a battery meter/monitor?

Also am I understanding correctly that there is a chance that a bad battery could potentially be causing most of the the faults related to communications with the modules?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,839 Posts
Thank you - any suggestion on a battery meter/monitor?

Also am I understanding correctly that there is a chance that a bad battery could potentially be causing most of the the faults related to communications with the modules?

Bad battery, jittery connections, alternator with bad diode all equal dirty power supply.

Here is intro to BM2.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I did a quick test. Car parked overnight, reset all codes using scanner. Turned off ignition for 10 sec and turned back on to rescan the car.

This is what shows
C1000 - esp sps pml and Bas control unit

No ECU codes

No airbag codes

Also, obviously don’t have the battery meter yet but using a voltmeter, cranking volts drop to 10.6 when turning car on. Running battery voltage starts at 14.60 and then drops to about 14.40 once car has been on a while.

I’m guessing the print out of codes I scanned initially are historic to the car and have not been cleared in a while. The battery was changed right before I bought the car so I’m thinking those over/under voltage codes are based on the former failing battery as they’re not coming back.

Part number for my ESP is 1635458032 according to the Autel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here is my last question before ordering, is this part attached to the abs pump (link you sent seems to show that in the schematic) or is it in the fuse box as suggested above?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,839 Posts
So here is my last question before ordering, is this part attached to the abs pump (link you sent seems to show that in the schematic) or is it in the fuse box as suggested above?

Explore your fuse box.

2019-11-23_143956.png

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok- I ordered the part, used on EBay, it came and I installed it. All in all a 10 min job.

Here are the steps I followed:
1. Disconnected battery negative terminal

2. Removed fuse box cover on driver side of trunk that is held together by two plastic clips

3. Next to the Fuse box cover (closer to firewall) is another cover held together by torx screws. Removed 5 torx screws (they don’t come out of the plastic enclosure, they just need to be loosened so the cover comes out). Then lifted the cover being careful not to knock out the screws.

4. The ETS module is the first one (see picture)

5. Removed the two ramping harnesses and a small clip harness.

6. Slid out the old ETS module. It is not held in place by any screws but it has two slots on either slide in which it slides, to remain in place.

7. Replaced the harnesses, the cover with torx screws and the fuse box cover with clips.

8. Reconnected battery terminal

9. Turned on the car and scanned the module with the Autel scanner. Some old codes were on it (probably from the car it came from). Cleared those, turned off engine, waited 10 sec, turned it back on, and rescanned. Scanner finds no faults.

10. No more lights on dash.

Thank you all for your input on this and your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts