Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided against the Mandrus wheels I had asked about. I searched the whole site and got some info that put me off them.

Which leads me on.
I have the chance to buy a set of MB 18'' Avior alloys from a SL500.

I really like the look of them, and the fact they are genuine MB wheels. But the size is concerning me a bit, well not so much the size as the offset. The fronts are 18x8.5xET35, pretty sure they are a straight fit, but the rears are 18x9.5xET40.

If I've got this right the 40 offset will set the wheel further inwards than the 35 as is, which, with the bigger rim size (9.5 versus 8) will possibly rub the body on the inside edge. Would 10mm spacers and longer bolts sort this out?
While I'm on the subject, will I need modified bolts?

Thanks for any help with this as I really want to get these rims.

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
i think you are on the right track. my question would be if you space them out 10mm wont they stick outside the fenderwell?

checked the owners manual and it states a 37mm offset for the front and a 34 mm offset for the rear on the slk 230 and my 32 in the sport pkg.
37mm and 30mm respectivley for the non sport version 230 or 320
maybe this helps you

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,664 Posts
the best is to have it in actual testing with a series of spacers so u can also play with the looks of the ffset. yes you will need a longer bolt for this, and make sure you buy a stud guide for easy fitting and changing of that heavy wheel

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll try and get a test fitting to see just what is needed, the problem being I don't have the luxury of a range of spacers to try.

I've done a bit more ferreting around on the net and got a site ( Mercedes AMG BMW alloy wheels & tyres, UK wheel alloys ) that does modified/longer wheel bolts. They have to be 14mm radius seats for the avior wheel as opposed to the 12mm radius seats on the slk wheels, the slk's bolts are 12mm threads too. So I will need longer M12x1.5 bolts with a 14mm radius seat. The company also do tuv approved spacers in 5mm and 10mm. These will reduce the offset to ET35 or ET30 which should hopefully fit without a problem.

ZFT, what do you mean by ''that heavy wheel''? is the avior a particularly heavy item? and is there a site somewhere with wheel weights for mercedes wheels?

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04 carrera911, 99 S320,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140
1,664 Posts
yup the avior is a little heavy compared to the stock wheels. i dont know of any site for the weight of the wheels but you can actually try to lift it and compare. if you need assistance on the spacers let me know. we have alot here in this country, if the need comes. i can ship it to you np.

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the reply and your offer. I now have the new wheels issue resolved.

I went to get the aviors and as I was speaking to the guy noticed a set of
18'' AMG typeIII wheels sitting. I asked about them and to cut a long one short, bought them off him for £300! ($400) They are 8.5x18 et30 and 9.5x18 et33. The bloke in the shop said they were off a 2006 CLS500 AMG.

They had a tiny bit of road rash on one rim edge and a bit of paint peel on another two. I have already flattened and painted them with base and laquer and they have come up like new.

The best bit is they fit with no spacers or anything else. I do prefer the look of the avoirs, but could not pass up the chance of amg's at that price. The tyres are ordered and hopefully they'll be fitted by next weekend.

Do you think I'll be justified in putting an /////AMG badge on the boot now? :wink_2:

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are on and they fit. Put on 255.35.18 and 225.40.18 Falken 452's. I checked out some review sites and they got great positive write ups so I went with them.
Here are some pics

I think it gives the car a massive lift and I love them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts