Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320, 2007 Land Rover LR3 HSE, 2008 E350
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work, I got an ESP warning msg followed by a BAS and ABS warning/malfunction msg. Per explanation in the Operator's Manual, the ESP will indicate power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or empty) - does this mean I need to replace my battery? Feedback appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
That has been the case with a lot of us. I would say your battery is on its way out:thumbsup: What year is your car??

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi acarter53! my E320 is a 2000 model. Thank for the info.

·
Registered
E250 Bluetec Sprinter250 Bluetec
37,224 Posts
The battery in my 99 wagon died without warning.
No ESP light, nothing. Just on the restart the computer would not engage the starter.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,792 Posts
This is an indication that your parts are failing correctly. I just replaced my brakelight switch last night to fix the same problem. I opened the switch to see what failed, and two tiny copper flakes broke off from one of the terminals. They are guaranteed to fail from fatigue.
The upside: cheap and easy DIY. just have patience on getting the lower dash cover off so you don't brak any tabs.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback lkchris & Hirnbeiss - my buddy who's a service mgr told me the same thing (run steering wheel to full left then full right which should clear); however, if I continue to get the ESP, BAS, ABS msg, he believe's its' a brake light switch too. Hirnbeiss, what should I look for when I get the lower dash cover off? How much does it cost for a new brake light switch? Thanks again!

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
126 Posts
I just glanced at this thread.... I happen to be a tech for mercedes-benz. I see this problem on W210 vehicles all the damn time... very common... Its the brake lamp switch. a 25 dollar part. and 15 mins to change. the switch has two circuits in the one switch, its a fail safe. but if one fails it will cause a warning message to appear. and set a code C1200 (stop lamp switch plausibility) just change the switch and start the car turn the wheel lock to lock and *poof* light goes out.

be sure to set the switch after installing a new one. its just a push in a turn design. there is a plunger that moves with spring pressure when you apply the brake. before installing pull the plunger out it will make clicking noises for each detent. hold the brake down with your hand and install using your other hand, release and the brake will move back setting the adjustment on the switch.... not done... pull the brake pedal up (away from normal use) untill you hear one move click from the switch. then you done!

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
126 Posts
no problem victorylap, I would say the hardest part is taking off the knee bolster and putting it back on. You dont have to take it completely out, just kinda fold it down and reach in under the dash. On the W210 the carpet half under the steering wheel is all connected with the plastic panel under the dash... its like molded together. there are a few screws under the plastic facing up, and pull at the molded carpet near the steering column towards the rear to pop off some clips. you will notice that is bends around the center console... there is a hook. its made of plastic and can be hell to hook back. I believe the hook is on the molded knee bolster facing down. just push the panel down and reach for the stop lamp switch, its black with a white box shape that holds 2 connectors... the connectors are black and have idiot proofing tabs on them, so you can not get them mixed up.

hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts