Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning on the way to work an A4 ahead of me on the freeway hit what looked like a 2x4, which broke part of his rear bumper cover. The piece of wood was sent flying through the air and it was headed for my car!!

I jerked the wheel hard right, then back hard left and the car stayed in the path it was supposed to!!

The A4 pulled over and I pulled over behind him to make sure everything was ok with him and his car.

He was amazed how my car handled in that maneuver... as was I. A guy in a Grand Cherokee that was behind me pulled over too making sure we were ok and said that he thought I was going to crash when he saw me jerk the wheel... but was amazed when the car reacted how it did.

THANK YOU MERCEDES FOR INVENTING THIS PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY!!!!!

·
Registered
1995 C220 102k
588 Posts
Awesome!! I saw a kid in a 2001 Civic pull the SAME exact manuver, trying to miss a cooler someone dropped out of thier pickup truck.. He lost it and ended up head-on into the gaurdrail. His car was TOTALLED! I stopped to help and picked his glasses up off of the ground about 100 yds from his car!! Thats AFTER his head broke through the drivers window. I stayed till EMS got there, but i can tell you, without the ESP, your encounter could have been nasty!!

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
I wish my car had ESP, but I can assure ya'll the way MB's handle that they are hard to get away from you. A reminder of why these cars were great even before the electronic controls came along to back us up.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my 91 sideways in the rain just trying to pass someone... when I first got it... was not used to the power or the rear wheel drive... scared the hell outta me... and made me look like a fool to boot... LOL

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,326 Posts
MB Cars are very safe. I was going home one day when a buch of boxeswas coming off a flat bed on both lanes. At that time i was closing in to pass the flat bed when this happened every body else just stopped in the middle of the highway. I manuver around each box and signal the driver.

I only have ASR on my 1999 C280 Sport Edition and it's like testing your car at a research facility.

Eddie

·
Registered
AM
66 Posts
Pretty Good Technology

Pretty sure, i have ASR in my car and did a maneuver to pass someone who pissed me off while going on the highway before couple of days, just when i tought i lost control of the car i was impressed how the car did really go back in the lane !!

It was a combination of hard right w/ kickdown and then a hard left . i felt terrified for almost 3 seconds (i thought i was going to drift - like my previous BMW) but no, i am still shocked till today .

I am very glad that my choice was a mercedes .

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
216 with everything. 2002 SL500 with everything. 2009 SL500 with everything.
6,543 Posts
Just for the record guys.

ABS --------------1984
ASR---------------1991
ETS---------------1994
ESP---------------1996
BAS---------------1998
SBC---------------2002

These are the years that these things were fitted, do remember things like though we had ESP in 1996, it was not until 1998 that it could be used to its best advantage as it uses BAS to control the car

Have a nice day even if you do not want one

Malcolm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts