Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,
I have traded my 97 S500 to a 97 S600. The S600 got the ESP instead of the ASR. Finally I have a chance to test the ESP because of the weather.

For my S500 with ASR, when I hit the gas after traffic light, the wheel will spin, then ASR come and cut engine power (wheel stop spinning) and I can see the yellow triangle flashing in the center of the speedometer.

For the S600, I did the same thing, the wheel still spinning, the rpm hit almost 5000, no yellow triangle but the car is going straight but the wheel is still spinning.

I would like to know what is the different between ASR and ESP. is my situation normal? I also try a to hit the gas a little harder when turning into a corner, I can hear the wheel spinning but the car still turning to the direction i wanted, also no warning yellow triangle.

I can only see the yellow triangle on when I turn off the ESP or b4 fire up the engine.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
ESP should cut in and stop wheelspin just like the ASR.

The additional feature of ESP is the ability brake individual wheels to counter understeer and oversteer situations. It should have intervened in the situations you describe. Like ASR, the yellow triangle should have come on, and likely the throttle would have been cut. It is my uneducated opinion that something is wrong with your system, or you had the system turned off when you thought you had it turned on. No red light on in the switch means the system is on. Push the ESP button, and a red light comes on in the switch. The system is off now. Double check with your owner's manual. It's all in there.

Brett

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, my car does not have the red light and I do believe there is something wrong is the ESP, however, the dashboard doesnt show anything (warning light)

When I turn off the ESP button, the yellow warning triangle will on in the middle of the speedometer

So i am sure the system is ON, but do anyone experience that there is no warning or failure light but the ESP is NOT working? (maybe only the anti spin function)
Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts