Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SL500
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been having issues with the ESP System for a while now and still have not figured out the problem.

Seem when I'm going around corners like freeway ramps it kicks on for no reason. I'm taking the corners slow and she just wants to apply brakes and cut speed. The VSS indicator goes off. My cure is shutting off the ESP on corners for now.

Is there some sensors that may need replacing?

I'm hoping its not the YAW Sensor.
Where is it located on our cars?

1999 CLK 430

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Hello and welcome to W208 forum and it is for'em. If MB had a nickel for every ESP problem they could probably buy an American car company.
Please do a forum search. Many before have found the holy grail.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
Is there some sensors that may need replacing?
To solve a problem (apart from by good luck) you need to understand it, so here is a brief summary from the WIS of what causes the ESP to be triggered.

ESP responds to:

1. Driver's actions measured by,
a) steering angle sensor
b) accelerator pedal position - via throttle valve actuator

2. Vehicle behaviour measured by,
a) yaw rate sensor
b) lateral accelerator sensor
c) brake pressure sensors - at front axle
d) wheel speed sensors. That also includes correct tire dimensions & equal tread wear all round.

All processed by the ESP control module (N47/5), so take your pick!

To be logical, get your stored codes read first. If all OK, look into 2d) - that's the most likely cause of your problem, as described in your post.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I highly recommend getting the error codes before you attempt repair or taking it to your mechanic. As I found out the hard way, it can be a 50-dollar repair that will cost you much more if you start shooting in the dark.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may sound silly, but I had a lock box (safe) that wieghed about 25 lbs in my trunk that would slide around back there. I got sick of hearing that so took it out and now the VSS light does not trigger as much!

It does still trigger but not as annoying!

Strange?

·
Registered
2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
2,364 Posts
Check that all your tyres are the same diameter - a slightly flat (under pressure) tyre will also cause the EPS to activate if going around a corner as the wheel will be turning at a different velocity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts