1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
99 E55 Wagon
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if you know about this:

Fully disabling ESP for the W203

I don't know if anybody outside of the dealer is aware of this, but the traction control can be completely disabled simply by use of the steering wheel buttons. Here's the low-down-
1. To start, the key must be removed from the ignition.
2. Insert the key and turn to position 1.
3. Immediately press and hold the trip odometer reset button until the instrument cluster beeps. There is no visual message, only an audio beep. Be patient, this takes around 40 seconds.
4. Press the lower menu button (it looks like two sheets of paper, the one with the writing in the background behind the blank one)
5. Press the up arrow button.
6. Press the "+" sign to disable the Traction System (turn "ON" test mode)
7. Start the engine, the traction system is now disabled.
To return to normal, remove the key and restart the engine. The traction control warning should no longer be in the cluster. If it is, shut the engine off and remove the key again. Then insert the key and turn to position 1. Note that the DYNO test screen is displayed immediately. Push the "-" button to enable the traction system (turn "OFF" test mode)
NOTE: When you first turn the key to position 1, ESP DYNO Test screen pops up, then after 1-2 seconds it may disappear while faults are displayed. If you weren't fast enough in pressing the "-" button before codes were displayed, just wait until all codes cycle by, then the ESP DYNO Test screen will reappear.

No, this doesn't work for any car but the 203, before you ask...

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
And it only works on 2002's.

·
Registered
82 Posts
at first i suspected it, but now i am pretty sure. Here is the story:
I own a driftbox and i use it to do performance measurements.
as soon as i bought my baby i went to my test ground (a flat 2km straight)
The results were very good (but pretty much close to the test results of various greek magazines) As soon as i changed my worn out 205/55r16 to 225/45r17 front and 245/40r17 I did the test again and saw significant improvement to 0-100km/h but worst times with 6th gear acceleration (due to wide tyre losses). However the times were very good (0-100km/h in 8.5s (factory 9.3))
I visited a dyno and surprise surprise 186.6bhp and 23.5kg of torque
Next morning I revisited my beloved straight and retried the test, this time with the esp totally off (no esp, no abs, no bas). 0-100 in 8.2 and 10% improvement to all the acceleration results with any gear....
Yesterday I drove 100km in dynomode, the car feels totally different in the city, much faster and free.

Conclusion : The esp off mode releases the full power of the car (something like the M button o BMWs M3, M6, M5) giving more power and better throttle response.

So i suspect that a pretty easy and safe reprogramming would be the one that would give this power with the electronics on.

ps: my baby is a w203 c200k mod 2002 m111, 163ps, absolutely standard and the dyno one of the most liable dynos in eyrope the MAHA 3000

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
And it only works on 2002's.
Doesn't work on my 2002... I've tried multiple times following those exact instructions which have been previously posted many times. Is there something different to be done on the 2002 Sportcoupe?

·
Registered
04 C230K SS
176 Posts
It's always felt like a slew rate limiter to me when the esp is on...ESP will still kick in randomly if there is enough tire spin. Throw it in dyno mode and you don't have to worry about that (but you need to relearn the car ;) )

For you W203 owners that have 03+. I made this video a while back when people couldn't figure out how to do it.

YouTube - 2003+ Mercedes-Benz W203 Dyno Mode Tutorial

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well after nearly 250km with all the electronics off (esp, abs,bas) I drive a different car.... Now I really feel the 186 horses that the dyno stated. Of course I was scared to death when I hitted ice yesterday morning, with nearly 60mph and I had to break, but everyuthing went fine. Anyway I ve been driving cars with no electronics for 13 years.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,127 Posts
Doesn't work on my 2002... I've tried multiple times following those exact instructions which have been previously posted many times. Is there something different to be done on the 2002 Sportcoupe?
Dude, do you have a 6 speed? No reason you can't do this, but with the auto it gets a little weird.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Dude, do you have a 6 speed? No reason you can't do this, but with the auto it gets a little weird.
Yeah man, I have the automatic. What am I doing wrong, lol?

·
Registered
2012 C300 4Matic
178 Posts
Well after nearly 250km with all the electronics off (esp, abs,bas) I drive a different car.... Now I really feel the 186 horses that the dyno stated. Of course I was scared to death when I hitted ice yesterday morning, with nearly 60mph and I had to break, but everyuthing went fine. Anyway I ve been driving cars with no electronics for 13 years.
Umm... NO. The car feels COMPLETELY identical with dyno mode on or off, until you cause 1 or more tires to break its grip on the road, that is where you will feel a difference. You also lose ABS and BAS.

I just thought I should mention this so that other forum members aren't fooled by this gross exagguration into thinking they will feel a difference. You will feel NO DIFFERENCE, ZERO, until you skid or slip the wheels, which is a time when you would WANT ESP to kick in unless you're on a track, snow, or off road.

The only reason you saw different dyno numbers was because ESP is fooled and kicks in when the car is on a 2 wheel dyno because the front wheels are not rotating. That's why its called dyno mode. It is NOTHING LIKE M mode on a BMW! :stupid:

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
Seconded - please, if you are driving on public roads, leave this stuff on. If you're driving such that you're setting off ESP on a regular basis, it's time to ask the question: why are you getting into situations so close to the ability of your car?

·
Registered
04 C230K SS
176 Posts
Umm... NO. The car feels COMPLETELY identical with dyno mode on or off, until you cause 1 or more tires to break its grip on the road, that is where you will feel a difference. You also lose ABS and BAS.

I just thought I should mention this so that other forum members aren't fooled by this gross exagguration into thinking they will feel a difference. You will feel NO DIFFERENCE, ZERO, until you skid or slip the wheels, which is a time when you would WANT ESP to kick in unless you're on a track, snow, or off road.

The only reason you saw different dyno numbers was because ESP is fooled and kicks in when the car is on a 2 wheel dyno because the front wheels are not rotating. That's why its called dyno mode. It is NOTHING LIKE M mode on a BMW! :stupid:
Actually, I'll test this when I get some decent weather here again. I have a brand new G-tech RR that I have only used once. From the few tests that I did, it seemed like i was getting better 60' times with the "nanny controls" turned off (i need to do more runs to confirm). BUT, with them turned off I was not braking as hard or as consistently [straight line] as I was with them turned on (.85-.90g's compared to .99-1.01g's, respectively). I have the 6 speed manual so it may be slightly different for an automatic.

I will say that people need to learn how to drive their car in extreme conditions (ie avoiding an accident). These "nanny controls" are a crutch and people should learn to drive without them in case of a failure (ESP, BAS, and ABS all have the potential to fail). I do agree that it shouldn't be done on public roads and that you need to creep up to the 'limit' rather than go crazy the first time.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
I do agree that it shouldn't be done on public roads and that you need to creep up to the 'limit' rather than go crazy the first time.
I'm glad you added this to the end, because I can tell you right now that if my sportcoupe was in dyno mode during my recent accident it would have been very bad. This guy tried to get me to rear end him going 45 MPH by slamming brakes full force when I was about to merge into a turn lane. The ABS & BAS saved my ass big time, but the Jeep behind didn't even have ABS! He rear ended me at about 25MPH...

Switching "off" the ESP through the console switch lets you have plenty of fun while still being safe on public roads...

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
Switching "off" the ESP through the console switch lets you have plenty of fun while still being safe on public roads...
Yes, the car is a hoot with ESP switched 'off' and I highly suggest that if you want to have a little fun while out and about that you start there. The ESP will still step in if things go pear-shaped, and you can't do burnouts, but otherwise it backs down quite a bit.

·
Registered
2012 C300 4Matic
178 Posts
Yes, the car is a hoot with ESP switched 'off' and I highly suggest that if you want to have a little fun while out and about that you start there. The ESP will still step in if things go pear-shaped, and you can't do burnouts, but otherwise it backs down quite a bit.
HUH? Yes, you can do burn outs, no the ESP will not step in if things go pear-shaped. These guys are talking about putting the car into dyno mode to turn ESP off. Pressing the ESP OFF button is a totally different story; it does not actually turn ESP off, but instead changes when it engages so that you can get some wheel spin.

And again, unless you are breaking the traction with the road and spinning your wheels or sliding sideways that is the ONLY time you can get more power or do more with ESP off. Think of it this way - when ESP is on, if the light on the dash isn't flashing, it is having ZERO effect on what you can do with the car. So disabling it makes ZERO difference unless you get to the point where the light would have been flashing (ESP stepping in).

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
HUH? Yes, you can do burn outs, no the ESP will not step in if things go pear-shaped. These guys are talking about putting the car into dyno mode to turn ESP off.
Nah man, we were talking about the ESP switch just now... :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
HUH? Yes, you can do burn outs, no the ESP will not step in if things go pear-shaped. These guys are talking about putting the car into dyno mode to turn ESP off. Pressing the ESP OFF button is a totally different story; it does not actually turn ESP off, but instead changes when it engages so that you can get some wheel spin.

And again, unless you are breaking the traction with the road and spinning your wheels or sliding sideways that is the ONLY time you can get more power or do more with ESP off. Think of it this way - when ESP is on, if the light on the dash isn't flashing, it is having ZERO effect on what you can do with the car. So disabling it makes ZERO difference unless you get to the point where the light would have been flashing (ESP stepping in).

well that is my point, the car is accelerates harder with the esp totally off. (dynomode) Better 0-60 times but also better acceration form lets say 60-100 (overtaking). I was able to find it out using the Racelogic Driftbox. I am talking for about 10% better times

·
Registered
82 Posts
I dont drive in dynomode on a regular basis.... but after one week of doing so I can be sure enough for two things :
1. Yes its faster
2. yes the esp is really essential.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
Isn't there a safer way we can completely disable the traction control without disabling the ABS, and BAS? Couldn't you just unplug the wiring harness from the traction control unit...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts