Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,354 Posts
I replaced the steering angle sensor and clock spring and still had an ESP fault. Changed oil in SC and added more and fault disappeared.
I find this very intriguing. Can you elaborate on the dealer's diagnostic and codes found.

·
Registered
2002 C32
13 Posts
Codes were P207C and C1172
Steering angle sensor fault and Mechanical Fault in Supercharger.
I changed out steering angle sensor, ESP fault continued.
Changed out and added new SC oil, fault disappeared.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,354 Posts
Codes were P207C and C1172
Steering angle sensor fault and Mechanical Fault in Supercharger.
I changed out steering angle sensor, ESP fault continued.
Changed out and added new SC oil, fault disappeared.
Thanks for the update. Did a brief search and couldn't find how a mechanical fault with the supercharger would affect the ESP.

Maybe someone more verse in these systems will chime in.

·
Registered
2002 C32
13 Posts
Dealership didn't know either, they wanted 5k for a new SC. As a last resort I changed the oil and added 150cc more. Fault went away and no longer goes to limp mode.
Too many interrelated electronics.

·
Registered
2001 C230, 1995 E320
15 Posts
I have an almost constant ESP Malfunction Visit Workshop error on 2001 C240. Started about 3 months ago. So far deleting message is all I have to do. No symptoms, no consequences like slowdown or brakes or anything. Shop scan says replace Lateral Acceleration Sensor. Is this part available and affordable, and do you think it would cure the problem and stop the error notifications?

Thanks

Ken McGregor (Kdm8911)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Greetings,

I did buy a used mercedes 2006 C230 sport car and when i turn the ignion on i receive a message telling: ESP malfunction visit workshop, and some time it says: ESP unavailable visit workshop. and when I try to fix the speed by Cruise control another message comes for Speedometer malfunction.

I went to workshop, and after a computer check they found that Steering angle sensor needs to be replaced.

and as far as i know that I cannot replace this part so i need to replace the all column.

my question is: does the steering angle sensor make ESP malfunction and if yes does anyone have a picture where it is located??

note: ESP message comes only without a light, and after I did reset the memory (turn left and turn right) I can control the ESP I mean when I am on road when I press ESP button the yellow right is on, and if i am driving on smooth road and if i increased the fuel the car does not move (but the yellow light is flashing).

Thank you.. and I really need your reply ...

Best Regards.
there are other things that will give this such as say you bump the curb with one of the front wheels and the steering wheel off to the right or left or it could be a yaw rate angle sensor this is located in the trunk it could also be the esp abs brake control module the only way to know for sure is a diagnostic esp bas diagnosis there just trying to sell you how you access it you have to remove the steering wheel air bag from the back side of the steering wheel on each side you have to remove the 2 metric bolts it usually takes very small socket that will fit in the small hole like a nut driver once you remove and unplug the air bag before (do not repeat do not turn the ignition on no key fob nothing as the air bag will go off )if once removed you remove the steering wheel it takes a large metric allen head male socket once you remove it you will see a large black plastic disc that is the steering wheel angle sensor you have to gently pull it out and unplug it the trick is making sure one you replace it it has to be centered with the steering if not the esp light will come back on the steering wheel before every thing has to be centered there is a small mark on the threaded shaft and the steering wheel i like to mark the threaded shaft with a black sharpie so i know it's place there is a notch on the plastic angle sensor as well as a mark the the steering column to align the angel sensor then it is reverse order to put every thing back you still may have to clear the code some times removing the neg side of battery for abut 5 minutes will work

·
Registered
43 Posts
there are other things that will give this such as say you bump the curb with one of the front wheels and the steering wheel off to the right or left or it could be a yaw rate angle sensor this is located in the trunk it could also be the esp abs brake control module the only way to know for sure is a diagnostic esp bas diagnosis there just trying to sell you how you access it you have to remove the steering wheel air bag from the back side of the steering wheel on each side you have to remove the 2 metric bolts it usually takes very small socket that will fit in the small hole like a nut driver once you remove and unplug the air bag before (do not repeat do not turn the ignition on no key fob nothing as the air bag will go off )if once removed you remove the steering wheel it takes a large metric allen head male socket once you remove it you will see a large black plastic disc that is the steering wheel angle sensor you have to gently pull it out and unplug it the trick is making sure one you replace it it has to be centered with the steering if not the esp light will come back on the steering wheel before every thing has to be centered there is a small mark on the threaded shaft and the steering wheel i like to mark the threaded shaft with a black sharpie so i know it's place there is a notch on the plastic angle sensor as well as a mark the the steering column to align the angel sensor then it is reverse order to put every thing back you still may have to clear the code some times removing the neg side of battery for abut 5 minutes will work
i forgot it is also possible someone accidentally hit the esp button try to reset it turn the ignition on to #2 position push and hold down the esp button till the esp warning light turns off you will see a yellow triangle light after about 5 to 10 seconds it will go out turn off the ignition take the key out another way is to disconnect the neg side of battery leave it off for 30 minutes make sure no fob in ignition switch the reconnect the battery this is a reset and check all system if it is just a glitch not a failure it may reset everything unless a failure has happened then you have a bad part it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to replace the sensor

·
Registered
43 Posts
Greetings,

I did buy a used mercedes 2006 C230 sport car and when i turn the ignion on i receive a message telling: ESP malfunction visit workshop, and some time it says: ESP unavailable visit workshop. and when I try to fix the speed by Cruise control another message comes for Speedometer malfunction.

I went to workshop, and after a computer check they found that Steering angle sensor needs to be replaced.

and as far as i know that I cannot replace this part so i need to replace the all column.

my question is: does the steering angle sensor make ESP malfunction and if yes does anyone have a picture where it is located??

note: ESP message comes only without a light, and after I did reset the memory (turn left and turn right) I can control the ESP I mean when I am on road when I press ESP button the yellow right is on, and if i am driving on smooth road and if i increased the fuel the car does not move (but the yellow light is flashing).

Thank you.. and I really need your reply ...

Best Regards.
you can replace the steering angle sensor they are just to make you spend money for them when it is not the problem you first have to take the neg battery cable off the battery then you have to remove the steering wheel air bag it takes a i think it is 20 mm torque 2 head screws on both side of steering wheel on the back side once you have removed it carefully unplug the air bag it has 2 one yellow one green and one black the 2 have lock clips be careful not to break one once you get it out you will see a large torque screw 30mm to remove the steering wheel make sure the steering wheel is straight and centered it takes a lot of force to remove the screw the steering wheel after you remove you will need to mark the top and just above the threads with a sharp black pen so you put back in the same straight position of the steering wheel once you remove it you will see the spring lock for the steering wheel there are i think 3 torque head screws and remove it carefully you have to gently pry off go around and gently pry off so not to break it once you get that out and unplugged you now can see the streering wheel angle sensor you gently pull up there is a long plug in so be carefull not to break it once you get it out if you have the new one just reverse the process you have have to have the fault code removed after it is all back together it will take a esp/abs/srs obII scanner to remove the error codes so the message goes away remember to reconnect the neg cable that is every thing to finish it also remember this engine not matter what the balance shaft will fail some times you can simply turn the car on and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left they all the way to the right way and repeat 3 times then turn the engine off remove the key fob then put the fob back in the message should be gone if not you will have to remove it with a code reader and delete the codes

61 - 71 of 71 Posts