Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Black E55
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding of the ESP system is that switching it off with the button turns off active handling but not the traction control functions.

If there a key combo to turn the system completely off?

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
No. There is no way to completely shut off ESP unless you put the car in "dyno" mode. This also completely turns off ABS, so it's not recommended unless you're actually going to dyno the car.

·
Registered
2005 Black E55
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. There is no way to completely shut off ESP unless you put the car in "dyno" mode. This also completely turns off ABS, so it's not recommended unless you're actually going to dyno the car.
thanks.. didnt know what you guys called it.

found it with search.

ryan

·
Registered
2005 Black E55
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know if they recently change the control of this?

It had worked for me in the past. Everything was shut off.

Now, the traction control can still be shut off, but the active handling part stays on. And I noticed the ESP warning light never comes on like it used to.

·
Registered
986 Posts
It has worked the same on every modern MB I've owned, E430, W210 E55, SLK55, and 2006 W211 E55. Turning ESP off it still is never completely off. It will allow some wheel spin, but it definitely still kicks in if things really start to get out of hand. I have noticed that not all cars have the same "threshold" at which ESP starts to intervene. My E430 was really sensitive (non AMG car?), and it took very little for the triangle to start flashing and power to be cut.

·
Registered
2005 Black E55
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has worked the same on every modern MB I've owned, E430, W210 E55, SLK55, and 2006 W211 E55. Turning ESP off it still is never completely off. It will allow some wheel spin, but it definitely still kicks in if things really start to get out of hand. I have noticed that not all cars have the same "threshold" at which ESP starts to intervene. My E430 was really sensitive (non AMG car?), and it took very little for the triangle to start flashing and power to be cut.

before the ESP triangle light used to light up in dyno mode... now it doesnt.

·
Registered
2005 Black E55
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone confirm this for me? I can't believe there is no way to turn off the entire system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With ESP off, I can definately keep the wheels spinning with no issues at all (the little triangle light comes on as soon as I switch mine off)

·
Registered
2005 Black E55
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With ESP off, I can definately keep the wheels spinning with no issues at all (the little triangle light comes on as soon as I switch mine off)
i knew i wasnt crazy.. re triangle.

mine will still let you spin the rears.. like i said.. T/C is off... its the yaw control.

can you get the car sideways?.. without the ESP kicking in?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Maybe have a dealer scan it for codes. When the triangle is "off", ESP is on normal. It should be pretty easy to get it to light up. When the triangle is lit, ("on"), ESP is as "off" as you can make it without switching to dyno mode or pulling a fuse. This is what the owner's manual has to say about ESP.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Black E55
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe have a dealer scan it for codes. When the triangle is "off", ESP is on normal. It should be pretty easy to get it to light up. When the triangle is lit, ("on"), ESP is as "off" as you can make it without switching to dyno mode or pulling a fuse. This is what the owner's manual has to say about ESP.
i doubt my dealer will help me turn off all the MB instituted safety features.

like i said.. the triangle did go on before the car went in for a NAV install.. now it wont.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Unfortunately, I think you just diagnosed your own problem. I wish I never had a problem after a dealer visit, but you're not the only one. Just be sure to return to the same dealer so they are "on the hook" for the fix, warranty or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts