Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S210 E280 T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Well, got my '98 E320 4matic checked today after getting some ABS ESP warnings. Turns out that the ESP control unit is broken and needs to be replaced.

I would like to ask you guys to help me find this ESP CONTROL UNIT (number reads 021 545 35 32) used for a reasonable price.

As I live in Iceland I would need to have the unit shipped to me as well.

Thanks in advance, Al

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I hope your mechanic is experienced - the electrical connections should all be triple-checked-cleaned - often cloudy connections can trigger failed module error code etc.

If you are certain that that's the issue - you can reach out by email or phone to US used parts houses that specialize in such components.

AutoEcms.com 888-222-0316

·
Registered
1998 S210 E280 T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I hope your mechanic is experienced - the electrical connections should all be triple-checked-cleaned - often cloudy connections can trigger failed module error code etc.
Thanks for this advice. Not sure if the mechanic went that far to check the electrical connections. Only thing he said is that he connected the car to his computer and that it agreed with the warnings in the dash borard. :)

Regarding checking and cleaning the connections, how much of a job is it for an average Joe such as myself?

Kajtek1, the dashboard says ABS but it's my belief that the car has ASP as well. Not possible?

Thanks, Al

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, i have a 96 E200 in my workshop and wanted to know is the ecu from a different will car (same model and year) will reprogram and how it could be done. Thank you

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Of course a diagnostic computer will confirm the CEL/warning lights - does this happen on startup immediately after you put your foot on the brake ?

The reason I ask - is we want to eliminate any simple issue - like a bad brake light switch replace with MB brand switch only - before defaulting that the module is bad.

Module gets pulled and clean contacts with non-ammonia electrical contact cleaner.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
1998 S210 E280 T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course a diagnostic computer will confirm the CEL/warning lights - does this happen on startup immediately after you put your foot on the brake ?

The reason I ask - is we want to eliminate any simple issue - like a bad brake light switch replace with MB brand switch only - before defaulting that the module is bad.

Module gets pulled and clean contacts with non-ammonia electrical contact cleaner.

Keep the beat !
This is what happens: I turn the key to the second position and three warning signs light up on the dashboard: (ABS) ((!)) and BAS/ESP.

When I turn the key to the third position and start the car I get the following three remarks on the screen along with three consecutive beeps: BAS, ESP, ((ABS)) ANTI LOCK Brake System.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,690 Posts
Kajtek1, the dashboard says ABS but it's my belief that the car has ASP as well. Not possible?

Thanks, Al
That is what I was afraid about.
Somehow you've got misinformed and you need to backtrack the process. You don't have ESP. Look at the switch on the shifter board that says ASR. or less likely ESP.
Now your light can be triggered by several things and starting with dropping expensive computer in is going to make your wallet thin very fast. As mentioned, typical issue is brake switch and cheap enough to give it a try. Those thing also come on with low voltage. Check the charging system. Good luck.

·
Registered
1998 S210 E280 T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Somehow you've got misinformed and you need to backtrack the process. You don't have ESP. Look at the switch on the shifter board that says ASR. or less likely ESP.
Now your light can be triggered by several things and starting with dropping expensive computer in is going to make your wallet thin very fast. As mentioned, typical issue is brake switch and cheap enough to give it a try. Those thing also come on with low voltage. Check the charging system. Good luck.
Well, if it reads ESP in the dashboard I must assume that my car has this.

I would be glad if you guys could point out more sellers who have this unit. Sent a request to AutoEcms.com yesterday but haven't received an answer yet.

Thanks, Al

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,324 Posts
The 98 rear wheel drive E320s in North America don't have ESP. Is it possible that the 4_matics do? Checked it out and sure enough, a 1998 4-matic W210.082 or W210.282 does have ESP!

Various things can cause the brake related lights to come on including:
- Bad brake light switch
- Bad wheel speed sensors
- Bad BAS
- Bad ABS pump
- possibly bad ESP module.
- various other possibilities.

You need to get the codes read by a properly equipped Mercedes shop. The codes will point you toward where the problem is.

Last winter, I had the car light up with BAS/ASR/BAS almost every time I drove it - turned out to be the ABS pump. An expensive part (several $1000), but I found a good used unit and that corrected problem.

Most of the specialty parts can only be obtained from dealers. Some dealers will sell at a discount. Two of these are Mercedes Benz of Anaheim (Caliber Motors) and MB of Annapolis. There are also others. Places like Autohaus Arizona and Parts.com have some of the more general parts, as do many others.

The part you said you needed in the first post has, according to epc, been superceded by 0255456332. It also says that this part is used on a W210.082 or W210.282. (4-matics)

·
Registered
2000 W210 E320 CDI Avantgarde
14 Posts
Hmm I have the same problem start teh car up and you have a christmas tree of warning light with I think the ESP coming on once you get moving.

Put it in to the local Lotus dealer, "there was quite a lot of faults logged on the system to do with the Abs mostly relating to the steering angle sensor we have re set the system but N.s.f sensor is still showing open circuit and needs the sensor replaced"

Replaced the NSF ABS sensor and the circuit is still open. They are suggesting replacing the ABS module. I trust this mechanic as he looks after my other cars.

My concern is that I could end up replacing module after module hunting this down. There is a cheap refurb module on ebay, can anyone point me in the direction of a photo of the ABS module on a W210 E320 CDI ?

TIA

S

1 - 12 of 12 Posts