Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all Hello to all.My name is Steve from Sussex in the UK.Im new to this forum and I have what I believe to be pretty unique.I have a 2002 W220 S320 cdi.I recently put the car in for an MOT and failed on a couple of items one of which was put right but the other problem has me stumped so im hoping someone on here can help me out.
When the ESP Button is pushed,Nothing happens.On start up the lights in the dash light up including the abs/esp as they should and go out on the engine firing up,as they should,But wont light up on pushing the ESP button.The car has been scanned but finds nothing related to the ABS ESP.
Can anyone help me......Please ….im pulling my hair out...Thanks in advance....Steve:frown:frown

·
W220 Moderator
5,627 Posts
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

What machine was used to scan for faults ????

If it wasn't SDS (the MB Dealer level machine), then it likely will not access everything in the complex ABS / BAS / ESP system, so there may actually be faults present.

However, if the Car is Ignition on and BAS ABS ESP lights on, then start engine and they all go off, then I'm pretty (like 99.9% certain), that it should not fail a UK MOT Test !!

Sounds like the Switch itself may be the issue, or perhaps the Car has had something like Cluster etc replaced but not correctly "Version Coded" !!

The Mercedes SDS will be able to look at the data and see if the switch is working, look at and alter Version Coding if needs be etc, but this really needs to be done by a techie who is familiar with these Cars and SDS :wink

If you weren't at the other end of the UK to me I would happily fix it for you ;)

Edit ............. Just phoned my local MOT Station, if lights come on as they should then go off as they should the Traction Button working or not has no effect whatsoever on the test ...........

HTH,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response Dave.The scanner used was a icarsoft machine .I did check continuity across the switch and all was ok.The mot tester insisted that if the button didn't show a light on the dash when pushed then it was a failure.
Perhaps I should try a different MOT Station. Alternatively as you say I need to find someone in East Sussex ,near Eastbourne with a star machine.Easier said than done.Aas you say its a shame you don't live nearer but thanks for the offer...Steve

·
W220 Moderator
5,627 Posts
Hi Steve,

OK, well firstly I hope my guy has got it right, but I assure you he is normally absolutely flawless and also fair, unlike all the other Testing Stations in my locale, that is why I take all my MOT's there :wink

A few options, I would start with the first one ...................

1) Go back to original Testing Station, speak to the Owner / Management, and carefully word a suggestion along the lines that "You are not trying to tell him his job, you sympathise that VOSA are always changing the rules, but you have it on very good authority that this is not a Fail, would he please phone his local VOSA and double check if he is correct" !!

If he's an OK guy that should not be a problem, I will always promptly admit if I am wrong !!

If he is an ass, just ask for a refund and if still no joy ask him for an Appeal Form, (don't use it, see below) and tell him you will report this to VOSA !!

2) Phone or visit another testing station, explain the situation, if they say OK then ask them to test the Car. Be aware that it is possible that they may find something that the "inepts" did not, and so the Car could potentially fail on something else :(

3) Either that or phone VOSA, or whatever they are called today, explain and they may be able to call them who did the Test and point out their error, thus hopefully they will pass it !!

I personally would avoid an "Official Appeal", firstly VOSA will require the Car is not used or repaired / retested until they can examine it, (can take weeks), secondly they often side with the Tester, and thirdly, other testers in your town will likely get to hear of this and might be very hard on you on future tests :wink

BTW, do you know that most Switches on your Car do not operate lights, motors etc ?? .................
They send computer signals, (data packet) via Cars CAN Buses, and these are interpreted by the relevant Module, which actually does the switching action of the "whatever".

Be very careful doing continuity tests etc, you can very easily brick your Car if you get it wrong !!

If you don't have a local Indie who has a SDS, and you are a DIY owner, then you should really consider getting SDS, Dell Based systems are available from around £400 upwards in UK, have a good search around the Forum there is tons of info on these Cars and various related subjects.

Any other Diagnostic machine that costs less than SDS Clone will not access all Codes all Areas, and does not have all the other cool and very useful stuff on it ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice Dave. Very useful information and I’ll let all know how I get on. ...Steve
Sorry its been a while but have taken the car to another garage and it passed the MOT with flying colours.Thanks again Dave....Just need a new MAF sensor now....Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts