Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, today I changed the wheels on my 1998 CLK 320 auto. I changed them to 18x9.5 rear with 235/40/18s and 18x8.5 fronts with 215/35/18. I had to go with these sizes as the car is lowered and this was the only solution to get the wheels to fit so I don't want to change tyres.

However I now have a problem... After a few hundred yards of driving, I get ESP and ABS warning lights come on the dash, the car will remain in the gear it was in when the faults showed up and the speedo drops out. If you turn the car off and then on again and drive off, the car is fine for another few hundred yards, then the codes etc reappear.

Is there a solution to this WITHOUT changing the wheels and tyres? I understand the rolling radius on the front wheels is a little smaller than the rear wheels but I wonder if there is a way (possibly in STAR?) to stop the car from throwing up these faults.

Any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dude.......... You have to get your tire Diameters way closer than that!!!!!!!!

215/35/18 Dia = 23.93

235/40/18 Dia = 25.4

Thats a 1.47 Dia difference front to back!!!!!!!

You have to get them within a 1/2 inch or less front to back.

The computer doesn't know what to do.

Don't give up on the wheels just match your tire Dia better. Just so you know I'm running 20's without any issues.

There's my 2 cents. Hope it helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! It was the answer I was expecting to be honest. I take it there is no way to program the computer to accept the differences in overall wheel diameter?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I called and spoke with a mechanic from my local Mercedes dealership about this very thing before I put 20"s on my car........ He said there is no way to program the computer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going to say yeah. The difference is .55 for those two tire sizes. I'm running 245-30-20 and 225-30-20 and mine are .48 different in Dia. I haven't had any issues. I can't imagine the .07 difference will matter.

·
Registered
2000 SL320, 2001 CLK320
2,364 Posts
Why on earth would you want to over ride an important safety system:|

Just get the right diameter tyres.

·
Registered
'99 CLK 430, '05 E500 4Matic
502 Posts
225/40/18 front
255/35/18 rears....lug nuts from OEM had to be changed (rear too long), but I've never had a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts