Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,017 Posts
Do you have 38 pin connector and use this connector ? Or just the EOBD 16 pin connector ? The non-USA cars have different setups during transition years from the USA cars, from 38 pin to 16 pin ONLY.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hallo
Now after I start the engine a CHECK LAMPS massage show up immediately without switching the lamp
( i make sure that all my lamps are working fine )
And when i press the break pedal ESP ABS BAS show up

·
Registered
2001 E320 RWD- 2011 E350 4M
574 Posts
Ok resurrecting an old thread lol, it’s been about a year now every once in a while my “trio” lights were lighting randomly with a beep and once I turn the car off and back on everything is back to normal for a few months. The day before I got the Lamp Defective warning but didn’t think about it too much since I go to work super early when it’s still dark and almost every light is turned on. Then I noticed I get the warning when I press the brake pedal.
Yesterday on the way home, my trio lights illuminated again, continued to home since I was close. Turned off the car and back on no issues until I touch the brake pedal then they come on again. Tried again and same thing. Checked the brake lights and nothing lights up when my son presses the brake pedal, back of the car is dark, checked the fuse #2 at the driver side panel and it’s good, wiggled the case a little in case something is loose, nada.
I have a dealer part Brake Light Switch in the glove box about a year now, yes yes I’m guilty of not changing it already.
Car is approaching 200K and I got it at 50 or 55K miles 11 years ago, so it’s either original equipment or changed once before 50K miles but I doubt it.

The problem is it’s pretty cold outside and my garage is full of wife’s junk. Is there any other place I need to check before I tackle with the switch. Any other fuse, relay, connector etc. I highly doubt all of the brake lights are faulty, I was expecting one of them maybe going bad and it’s usually the driver side but when I see the tail end was completely dark then I figured this is a deeper issue.
Appreciate any input.

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,017 Posts
Ok resurrecting an old thread lol, it’s been about a year now every once in a while my “trio” lights were lighting randomly with a beep and once I turn the car off and back on everything is back to normal for a few months. The day before I got the Lamp Defective warning but didn’t think about it too much since I go to work super early when it’s still dark and almost every light is turned on. Then I noticed I get the warning when I press the brake pedal.
Yesterday on the way home, my trio lights illuminated again, continued to home since I was close. Turned off the car and back on no issues until I touch the brake pedal then they come on again. Tried again and same thing. Checked the brake lights and nothing lights up when my son presses the brake pedal, back of the car is dark, checked the fuse #2 at the driver side panel and it’s good, wiggled the case a little in case something is loose, nada.
I have a dealer part Brake Light Switch in the glove box about a year now, yes yes I’m guilty of not changing it already.
Car is approaching 200K and I got it at 50 or 55K miles 11 years ago, so it’s either original equipment or changed once before 50K miles but I doubt it.

The problem is it’s pretty cold outside and my garage is full of wife’s junk. Is there any other place I need to check before I tackle with the switch. Any other fuse, relay, connector etc. I highly doubt all of the brake lights are faulty, I was expecting one of them maybe going bad and it’s usually the driver side but when I see the tail end was completely dark then I figured this is a deeper issue.
Appreciate any input.
If you have a scanner that can access the live data from the ECU, it will tell you the stop light switch contact status. Also a fault code from the traction module will tell you if it is the stop light switch or something else.

·
Registered
2001 E320 RWD- 2011 E350 4M
574 Posts
Update: Changed the switch tonight and all is good, back of the car lights up again when press the brake pedal. No more “trio” warning lights.
Basically the hardest part of the job was getting the hood release mechanism thru that tiny hole to get the cover out of the way. Also the screw for the same thing is a pain in the rear.
Hope this helps other folks with the same problem in the future.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts