Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESP ABS BAS light on instrumental cluster and check lamps as well .. I check all the lamps and all works good

When i press the break all the light lit up

I also replace the break light switch but still the same issue

Any suggestions!??

·
Premium Member
1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
6,005 Posts
I suggest you provide the model year and model of your car, mileage and location.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Check fuse 2 on K40 relay module . That is the 10 amp fuse that provides power to ESP module and the brake switch.

The K40 fuse and relay module is on the passenger side under the hood under the lid which is help by 4 screws.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dose it have any relation with the break lights ?
Or the break rear lamps if it’s original or not
Because sometimes it works and sometimes doesn’t

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
You really need to explain your problem better.

1) Do you have a check engine light on?

2) Does the problem occur when you are driving ? Or when you are stationary with engine idling, and you press the brake pedal ?

3) If the brake bulbs are as specified and light up as they should when you press the brake pedal all the time, then the brake switch contact for the brake lights is fine.

4) Did you install the brake switch as it is specified (the adjustments prior to install) ? Did you use the OEM brake switch ?

5) You say sometime it works sometime doesn't ? What is "it" ? Brake lights ? ESP/BAS ABS indicators ? Both ?

6) Have you checked the battery voltage ? Low battery voltage / charging issues are related to ESP/ABS/BAS lights to pop up ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) no check engine light.
2) it occur after i press the break pedal and remain on till i turn off the engine.
3) when the ESP/ABS/BAS light in the instrumental cluster the break light in the back dose't light up when i press the pedal.
4) yes i use OME break switch and it is installed correctly.
5) all ESP/ABS/BAS and the break light works together .. if the ESP/ABS/BAS work fine (no worning on the cluster) the break light work good when i press the pedal.
6) the battery voltage is perfect.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Possibly the brake light fuse holder is loose.

Remove the cover at the side of the dash (driver's side). You will see a fuse panel. Fuse#2 is the fuse for the brake lights. When the fuse holder is loose or some bad wiring / connector, the brake lights will not work. The fuse supplies power to the brake light switch, and when you press the brake pedal, the brake light switch closes, which is also monitored by the ESP / BAS module.

The ESP module monitors the two contacts in the Brake switch. When the brake pedal is not pressed first contact is open and the second one is closed. When the brake pedal is pressed, the first contact closes, and as the pedal moves down, then the second contact opens. If the ESP module does not see this happening (for example, both contacts open when the pedal is down), it will turn the warning light on. As the first contact closure is not sensed, you will also get non-working brake lights.

You can remove fuse#2 and press brake, and see what happens.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,072 Posts
I would check the tail lights themselves. They are not a good design and often get bad connections. There are some discussions here on how owners have modified or repaired them. New bulb holders and cleaning contact surfaces can help.

Brake Light switch is often the problem, and it does have to be properly ratcheted out before installation. But you say you have done that.

The other fault could be the ABS pump. It should run when you first turn the car on in the morning. If you have someone turn key on while you listen to pump motor (located drivers side of engine bay in NA), you should hear it run. Sometimes the brushes in motor go bad and the motor doesn't always run. This triggers a fault and all those lights come on.

Getting car checked on Star diagnostics should show up any stored faults,

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
I would check the tail lights themselves. They are not a good design and often get bad connections. There are some discussions here on how owners have modified or repaired them. New bulb holders and cleaning contact surfaces can help.

Brake Light switch is often the problem, and it does have to be properly ratcheted out before installation. But you say you have done that.

The other fault could be the ABS pump. It should run when you first turn the car on in the morning. If you have someone turn key on while you listen to pump motor (located drivers side of engine bay in NA), you should hear it run. Sometimes the brushes in motor go bad and the motor doesn't always run. This triggers a fault and all those lights come on.

Getting car checked on Star diagnostics should show up any stored faults,
I understood the poster reports defective light message on the cluster. Does an ABS motor issue cause a defective light message to come up ?

If both brake lights are not working (together with the ESP/ABS/BAS lights), it is probably due to a common cause. Typically with bad contacts or bulb, only that side is affected (provided that the bulb is inserted properly and is of the right type).

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,072 Posts
I understood the poster reports defective light message on the cluster. Does an ABS motor issue cause a defective light message to come up ?
No, it wouldn't report just defective light. But in his first post he said: "ESP ABS BAS light on instrumental cluster and check lamps as well .." This can be caused by a defective ABS motor or other problems in the brake system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have relized that it ESP ABS BAS light up when the break lamp stop working .. and it alwayes warn me first by CHECK LAMPS then the ABS ESP BAS

AND BTW THEIR IS ONLY ONE BREAK LAMP IS DEFECTIVE

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Fix the defective light issue first then.

Swap the light bulbs installed in the sockets out. left to right, right to left.

If the defective light moves with the swap;

then make sure you installed the correct light bulb (7225), and CORRECTLY installed.

else make sure that the contacts where the socket inserted and turned are in good shape and not bent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But what is the relation between the break lights and ESP ABS BAS ?

Do i have a problem with my vehicle or the system is installed in this way

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
But what is the relation between the break lights and ESP ABS BAS ?
The stop light switch, the connections to the stop light switch. Read the previous posts.

Do i have a problem with my vehicle or the system is installed in this way
You do.
a) your brake light is not working consistently.
b) the ESP/ABS/BAS will not be available when the lights are on. The power brakes should be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you very much for your support .. i really appreciate that

another question regarding Star C4 diagnose
when i scan it with the diagnoser the ESP section give me this massage
"HTT-WIN is not available in this system"
what dose that mean ??

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
It is likely that the software is installed on on 64 bit OS, and HHT-win works on 32 bit OS.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Your car is 2001 model. You should use DAS/XENTRY. The HHT-WIN is for older cars.

Do you own a SDS C4 ? what software did it come with ? If it is someone else's, they should know this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes i own star C4
And the software is Xentry
But when I start diagnose it with Xentry it automatically switch me to DAS

1 - 20 of 29 Posts