Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$15,000 for a 99 SLK230 AMG appearance and 47k miles

but it's got severe cosmetic damage... scratches all over(rubbing against soemthing) cracked lower bumper, looked like he hit something on the front corner, dent on the trunk lid by the handle and wheel is losing it's shine...AND it's never been cleaned...dirty as hell....he said he'd get the car detailed for me but still

errr i dunno....book value is $15,200 on fair condition and private sale. and $12,300 for trade in. he did say he just might sell it to car max but then he won't get anywhere near $12,300 for it, for the condition it's in. so waht should I offer him?

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
Nothing.

SLK's aren't that reliable even when pampered. I can only imagine the fun you will have w/a car that has been that badly abused. Unless your one hell of a mechanic and have a body shop at your disposal I would pass. But thats just my humble view.

·
Registered
99 slk 230 sport
144 Posts
wait for a more appealing car. Don't settle, you will wince everytime you see those scratches and dents.

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
cosmetic damage is very expensive to repair. cost of fixing body panels and then painting them.

why spend any kind of money for something that's been dogged? spend more for one in nice shape and it will still cost you less than fixing up a disaster.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,194 Posts
SLKRoadster99 - 4/26/2005 3:33 PM

$15,000 for a 99 SLK230 AMG appearance and 47k miles

but it's got severe cosmetic damage... scratches all over(rubbing against soemthing) cracked lower bumper, looked like he hit something on the front corner, dent on the trunk lid by the handle and wheel is losing it's shine...AND it's never been cleaned...dirty as hell....he said he'd get the car detailed for me but still

errr i dunno....book value is $15,200 on fair condition and private sale. and $12,300 for trade in. he did say he just might sell it to car max but then he won't get anywhere near $12,300 for it, for the condition it's in. so waht should I offer him?
SLKRoadster99,

DON'T BUY IT!!!

The car doesn't sound right....you can get a 2001 230 or 320 that will look like new, without being detailed, for just a fraction more.

Good Luck,

Dave

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i said 15 when i looked at it sunday but i was just excited to see the car. but now i talked to my parents and talked to you guys. the car seems less and less desirable.

He listed for $17,500 but it hasn't beens old for over a month. and he complains that people just came to look and never bought it...i wonder why...

I will give him $13,500 it's way more than what carmax is gonna give him by at least $1500

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,194 Posts
SLKRoadster99 - 4/26/2005 4:35 PM

yeah i said 15 when i looked at it sunday but i was just excited to see the car. but now i talked to my parents and talked to you guys. the car seems less and less desirable.

He listed for $17,500 but it hasn't beens old for over a month. and he complains that people just came to look and never bought it...i wonder why...

I will give him $13,500 it's way more than what carmax is gonna give him by at least $1500
DON'T BUY IT!!!

Take your time and be patient.
A good paint job to make it look right will cost $3,000 to $5,000 plus any parts that need to be replaced. After that, the new paint job will probably make the interior look bad.
Buy a 2001 or newer that has been garaged kept...it will still smell like new and not need cosmetic repairs. You will come out ahead.
I hate to burst your bubble, but this car just doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 SPORT
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn i looked at the car again, and i coudln't resist... $14,000

Im not even gonna bother fixing the lower bumper cuz it will most likely happen again from parking somewhere.

i probably made it sound really bad on the first post but I'll post up pix when i get a chance. but I'm loving it so far.(exhaust sounds gay!!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts