Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 A209 CLK500 Cabriolet
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

I was having issue with my CLK 500 where the starter kicked but the engine never starts. This happen once in a while until 2 days ago when the engine just shut down when I was driving it in the middle of rush hour. Suffice to say, I wasn't the most popular person on that highway that day. Plus the SOB is heavy as hell when I tried to push it. So when the engine cool off and I managed the start the car again and got lucky that I could drive the car home without the need of tow truck.

So I did a bit of a research and I found out that most of the time it's the CPS that's throwing up on me when problem like this happen. P0335 error means Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction. So I went to Amazon and bought a new OEM CPS (Bosch) for 30 bux, tried to replace it and after a major fight with the car, finally gave up and call the mobile mechanic to help me replace the CPS, and he cost me 130 bux for 15 min of his work and crappy job also mind you since he didn't reset the error code of the car. So I went to O'Reilly and borrow their OBDII reader and the Merc still shown P0335 error which is the CPS. I tried to reset the error code and it just wouldn't do it. O'Reilly people try to tell me that I have to bring it to Mercedes service center because they have the device to remove the permanent error code that only Mercedes people can do. Not sure what that means since I called the mobile mechanic who came to my place and installed the damn thing and he said O'Reilly or Autozone's OBD reader should be able to read and reset it. So did some more digging online and found this article and pretty much scared the hell out of me.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...nsor-a-circuit-malfunction-by-spencer-clayton

What repairs can fix the P0335 code?

Common repairs that may fix P0335:

Crankshaft sensor replaced
Repair or replace wiring harness
PCM replacement
Signal plate replaced
Engine timing belt or chain fixed along with any mechanical damage from this

Hot Dang. This is becoming a major repair project since replacing the CPS doesn't seem to solve the problem. The car can now start and have no issue when I drove it around. However there're a couple of times when it's still take some time to crank the engine up. When the engine is up, driving the car gave me no issue other than the Engine error light is still up. I don't know what to do now and I don't want to bring it to the Stealership since they quoted me 650 bux to fix the original CPS problem which is absolutely horrendous. Any advise on what I need to check to fix the engine light issue? Please help?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,962 Posts
P0335 is definitely a problem with the CPS. Maybe you got a bad one. Not all "Bosch" parts on ebay and Amazon are genuine. Or, it could be a wiring problem. A shop with SDS and proper test equipment can check it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rodney.

Crap. If it's the bad Bosch, I'm gonna have to do the battle with the installation again. What a pain.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,385 Posts
It sounds to me that your CPS problem IS fixed now. It's just the error code that needs resetting. Why not ask the dealership how much to do only that? Of course the mobile guy should have done that for his 130 bux.

Regarding your 'stumbling' start, is your battery up to scratch? Maybe you ran it down trying to start with the bad CPS?

Those 'common faults' you listed are for any car, and are not MB specific. I'm sure that your timing chain is OK.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Keyhole.

So you are saying that regular OBD2 won't be able to reset the error code and I have to go to the dealer to have it resetted?

As for the battery, yes the battery is good. I charged it before I re kick it off. I just changed the battery a couple years ago. It still take a couple of try to start the engine before the engine cranked up. But driving is good but still going through the paranoia that the engine is going to quit on me again. So I guess until I have resetted the engine light, I won't be able to feel safe driving the car again. Gosh.. :-(

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,962 Posts
A generic OBDII scanner should be able to reset the code. If not, then if the error condition is resolved, the MIL will extinguish after 5-10 start/stop cycles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rod.

It actually did reset itself. I started the engine yesterday after I called around for a reset service and the engine service light now disappear. The engine still shown some hesitation in starting though but then the crankshaft kicked in and engine is up. Not sure whether that's a strange issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all.

I was having issue with my CLK 500 where the starter kicked but the engine never starts. This happen once in a while until 2 days ago when the engine just shut down when I was driving it in the middle of rush hour. Suffice to say, I wasn't the most popular person on that highway that day. Plus the SOB is heavy as hell when I tried to push it. So when the engine cool off and I managed the start the car again and got lucky that I could drive the car home without the need of tow truck.

So I did a bit of a research and I found out that most of the time it's the CPS that's throwing up on me when problem like this happen. P0335 error means Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction. So I went to Amazon and bought a new OEM CPS (Bosch) for 30 bux, tried to replace it and after a major fight with the car, finally gave up and call the mobile mechanic to help me replace the CPS, and he cost me 130 bux for 15 min of his work and crappy job also mind you since he didn't reset the error code of the car. So I went to O'Reilly and borrow their OBDII reader and the Merc still shown P0335 error which is the CPS. I tried to reset the error code and it just wouldn't do it. O'Reilly people try to tell me that I have to bring it to Mercedes service center because they have the device to remove the permanent error code that only Mercedes people can do. Not sure what that means since I called the mobile mechanic who came to my place and installed the damn thing and he said O'Reilly or Autozone's OBD reader should be able to read and reset it. So did some more digging online and found this article and pretty much scared the hell out of me.

P0335 OBD-II Trouble Code: Crankshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Malfunction

¿Qué reparaciones pueden reparar el código P0335?

Reparaciones comunes que pueden reparar P0335:

Sensor de cigüeñal reemplazado
Repare o reemplace el arnés de cableado
Reemplazo de PCM
Placa de señal reemplazada
Correa o cadena de distribución del motor fijada junto con cualquier daño mecánico de esta

Hot Dang. Este se está convirtiendo en un importante proyecto de reparación, ya parece que reemplazar el CPS no resolver el problema. El coche ahora puede arrancar y no tiene problemas cuando lo conduzco. Sin embargo, hay un par de ocasiones en las que todavía se necesita algo de tiempo para arrancar el motor. Cuando el motor está encendido, conducir el automóvil no me dio ningún problema aparte de que la luz de error del motor aún está encendida. No sé qué hacer ahora y no quiero llevarlo al Stealership ya que me cotizaron 650 bux para solucionar el problema original de CPS, que es absolutamente horrible. ¿Algún consejo sobre lo que necesito verificar para solucionar el problema de la luz del motor? ¿Por favor ayuda?

pudo solucionar su peoblema

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.