Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
W210 E430
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys last night as I was driving on the express way I was extremely low on fuel trying to make it home I was moving pretty fast. Somewhere during that drive I saw my check engine light. Once I got to the gas station the car was bogging. I filled up and it was not bogging anymore. Still the engine light was on. Today I got hold of a scanner and read the code p0305 cylinder misfire condition . I cleared the code and engine light is not on anymore. Any ideas as to xhat may have happened anything I should take a look at. SHould I be worry free if It does not come back .
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
The bogging probably caused the check engine light. I'd continue to drive it and wouldn't be concerned unless it comes back on.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
When's the last time you changed the fuel filter? It's probably nothing to worry about, although even without a light I'd probably check codes every few days for a couple of weeks just to be sure there's nothing else going on. Easier to ignore if it was multiple misfires; the single is a bit suspicious.

But just watch it and if the code does not come back, no big deal.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
What Greg said.

As usual I replied without thinking. Low fuel level and/or clogged fuel filter would most likely result in multiple misfire codes. Just in case something is going on not serious enough to trip the CEL, checking codes is a good idea.

·
Registered
W210 E430
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks guys. I had ch
anged the fuel filter about 10000 miles ago. Hopefully everything will be cool. The only issue I have had is my fuel pump it makes a humming noise when gas is at yellow but once filled up noise goes away. It is a humming noise , but its been like that for a while

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I would be concerned about the humming because it sounds like the pump is working harder when the fuel level is low (it might even be getting weak). A lot of people advise staying above 1/2 tank to make it easier for the pump to function. You might have another reason to keep an eye on the codes. I have run my tank that low when I'm running a bottle of Techron through the system but I don't remember hearing any odds noises when it's that low.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
The humming is sometimes a precursor to failure, but it could also indicate the pump is simply working too hard, sometimes from a clogged filter. If you're buying gas from an unknown indie station, that could be an issue, but OTOH pumps don't last forever anyway.

As I said, though, it may be nothing, or it may be something. The two are probably unrelated in my mind, since real starvation would have lit off other codes. It doesn't sound as though you have a reader, I'd suggest picking up just a basic one. It will work on other cars, and for $35 it's nice to just have it under the seat, since you never know.

Either way as I said I would keep an eye on it and pull codes intermittently over the next couple of weeks. Be sure to continue driving normally (normally for you), too.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts