Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Often see mentioned about error codes and the inexpensive Radio Shack (who don't exist here in Oz anymore) make your own thing.

But does the W124 have an interface as such or is it just a couple of pins that blink lights at you. I huess what I am asking about is there a socket or plug receptacle somewhere that you plug something MB makes plugs into ?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
88s are rather primitive when it comes to reading codes. What do you have for a diagnostic socket - 8 pin, 16 pin?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI Guys

I only asked the question because I came across an inexpensive 16 pin error scanner that works with later MB's and wondered if it might be adapted to the W124. I suspect not !

TBLC-XX1018627_1.jpg

·
Registered
547 Posts
That will not work for our year cars. That is for OBD equipped car which came about in 1995+/- depending on country.
The ones we build for our cars are just blinking lights but they work great.
Very easy and very cheap to make.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That will not work for our year cars. That is for OBD equipped car which came about in 1995+/- depending on country.
The ones we build for our cars are just blinking lights but they work great.
Very easy and very cheap to make.
Bummer $19

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My skills wih a soldering iron match the number of gold medals I ahve won at the Olympic Games !

NIX ! NADA ! ZILCH !

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you twist two wires together? No heat required.
What and risk breaking a fingernail ??? Surely you jest ! :rotfl:

Okay I take the hint - I might try making one.
Be interested to see what if any error codes come up !

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
There are a variety of crimping auto wire connectors that work as well as soldering. Go down to your local performance audio for autos shop and ask what they join wires together with...butt connectors are my least favorite, but they can work. Then there's a connector like wire nut, but you crimp it-like that one.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
No need to hurt yourself:
View attachment 411270

Really though, unless you have a warning light on or flashing, like the SRS, or your AC is not working like it should then why risk it?
All kidding aside, what "risk" is there in making a code reader and checking your codes?? Everyone who owns these vehicles should have a coder reader and read for codes....

Kevin

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YEs I thik your right - just seems silly that we have to construct something.
Surely some clear enterprising Joe out there could assemble a simple one assembly line style and sell them !
Lot of W124's out there ! :cool:

The risk I think he refers to is me braking a fingernail ! :D

Considering I am laying laminate floor at home presently and ruining my back and kneecaps maybe assembling a code reader is the lesser of two evils ! :crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
YEs I thik your right - just seems silly that we have to construct something.
Surely some clear enterprising Joe out there could assemble a simple one assembly line style and sell them !
Lot of W124's out there ! :cool:

The risk I think he refers to is me braking a fingernail ! :D

Considering I am laying laminate floor at home presently and ruining my back and kneecaps maybe assembling a code reader is the lesser of two evils ! :crybaby2:
They're on ebay for about $45...just a nice box with test leads and a LED lights. So there's your enterprising fellows.:D

Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts