Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I posted a comment in the the general forum and it was suggested that I may get some advice in this section.

I drive a 2005 280 slk and have recently had a warning light diagnosed as error code 272, which would require the replacement of the balance shaft. This would cost many thousands of pounds.

On searching these forums I understand that a service bulletin has been issued in respect of this problem, and that some people have been successful in getting Mercedes to foot the cost for this. I have checked my engine number and mine is one of the models that the service bulletin refers to.

I was going to approach my main Mercedes dealer this week (I normally use an excellent local garage) and was wondering if any of you have any advice on how to deal with them? My main concern is that I currently have no relationship with them and that they tell me to get stuffed.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Here is the DSB (TSB) this will help in your talk with them, you should make them aware that you know about this in detail;

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=681441

272 is not a fault code, 272/273 are engine numbers, actually the first three digits of the engine numbers. They, the dealers, will need to read your cars fault codes to decide if this fits into a warranty claim or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the DSB (TSB) this will help in your talk with them, you should make them aware that you know about this in detail;

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=681441

272 is not a fault code, 272/273 are engine numbers, actually the first three digits of the engine numbers. They, the dealers, will need to read your cars fault codes to decide if this fits into a warranty claim or not.
Thanks for clarifying that. Glad I didn't go to the dealer stating engine number instead of fault codes!

And thanks for the link to the document.

·
52,804 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that. Glad I didn't go to the dealer stating engine number instead of fault codes!

And thanks for the link to the document.
If the car is out of warranty then the sneaky way is to take an extended warranty before you hit the dealers but it will cost you, so your call.

·
52,804 Posts
Oh sorry I forgot to add, go to the top of the page and click on "search" then in the google box type in 272 balance shaft problem and you will find pages of reading, pays to know what you are dealing with:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts