Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 G500, 1988 BMW M3, 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally, and seemingly randomly, I'll be driving ('04 G500) perfectly straight on cruise control at about 50-60mph when the car will start rumbling/vibrating. A few seconds later though it will just vanish and the truck will drive perfectly fine. It's been more a minor annoyance/"What was that?" thing, but yesterday I had an occurance that got so bad I was about to pull over...when yes, it totally vanished and was fine a few seconds later.

Any thoughts guys? Wheels out of balance? Something with cruise-control? Thanks!

-Keith

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
Tires, Tires Tires....

Have them Re-Balanced ("Preferably" ROAD FORCE BALANCED). You can "Try" a regular re-balance (probably Free where ever you purchased your tires), and see if it helps. The "Road-Force" is around $15 bucks per tire.

The 50-60 mph vibration is common when wheels out of balance.

G

·
Registered
2004 G500, 1988 BMW M3, 1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I figured it may be that, despite the infrequency of occurrence.

Tires, Tires Tires....

Have them Re-Balanced ("Preferably" ROAD FORCE BALANCED). You can "Try" a regular re-balance (probably Free where ever you purchased your tires), and see if it helps. The "Road-Force" is around $15 bucks per tire.

The 50-60 mph vibration is common when wheels out of balance.

G

·
Registered
2002 MB G400CDI-1992 MB 300E-24- 2005 Mini Cooper S
362 Posts
I have the same issue, and if you search thoroughly in the forum you will find numerous reports for this problem, but no clear solution..
I had this problem, changed tires and re-balanced wheels as well as alignment in a mechanic who makes geometrical changes in race cars, but still having vibration (smoother than before)

·
Registered
2001 G400CDI
322 Posts
Did you check the steering shock absorber? This worns out in the position correspondig to the straight line driving as it is the most used. If you check it off of the car it would probably seem fine to you. Due to tire imperfect balance (even if correctly balanced at tire shop) on different road surfaces the steering column gets into some sort of resonance and vibrations are felt.

I replaced mine and works perfect now. Huge improvement to steering even if not totally worn out yet. And is not expensive and it takes 5 mins to replace.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
Also, if the tires are not inflated equally from side to side, a harmonic vibration is set up that comes and goes due to the unequal rolling distance. Been there and done that.

·
Registered
2002 MB G400CDI-1992 MB 300E-24- 2005 Mini Cooper S
362 Posts
I personally have the shock absorber changed one month ago, steering is much better, yet the vibration is still there.
I dont know if the fact that i have one of the numerous Gwagens that are lower on the driver's side (common problem, afaik), has anything to do with the vibration

·
Registered
2001 G400CDI
322 Posts
Perhaps a better description might help like if you keep the car running at constant speed the vibration would go away and then back againg after a while and so on?

Aside from everything you might find on these threads like bushings, driveshafts, worn bearings (if unbalanced tires used a long time) only one weird thing I encountered: the big electrical cooling fan which might be a bit unbalanced or a bit loose. That is attached to the chassis and can induce something that might be perceived as vibration. But this would not be always correlated with only one speed range although the resonance works in misterious ways. You can test it in the various rotating speed levels with DAS.

Oh, one more thing, some vibrations might come from the inside of things like gearbox, transmission case or axles diffs. For this at first you can try replacing the fluids with quality ones.

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2013 G63 AMG
85 Posts
Last fall I bought new tires and today I changes the steering shock absorber. The steering wheel still vibrates at around 60 mph. Is rebalancing the tires next step? :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts