Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is actually included under Tech Tips from Bazzle. I have a couple of questions regarding this. The blower fan just went full blast when I was driving the other day with the AC on and it wouldn't turn off even when I shut-off the engine and took the key off of the ignition. The blower speed seem to be changing a bit when I was changing the blower controller setting but it wouldn't turn-off. My brother had to pull the connector from the motor to turn it off. Could it be the blower motor regulator that's causing this or worn out brushes? Is it also the regulator that turns the motor on & off or is there a separate switch that does that? Should I replace the regulator and brushes first and see how it goes? The blower motor seems okay since it's running so hopefully it doesn't need to be replaced at this point.

Thanks very much for your help,
Al
2001 SLK 320

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bazzle, I'll order the regulator.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just want to share with you guys what I got when I ordered the regulator from Autohaus. After comparing it with the pictures posted in Tech Tips, it looks a little different, so I checked the number on the part which is 2941000536 and not the part number posted in Tech Tips which is 210 820 62 10. But the plastic bag used to ship the part has the 210 ... number. It's not even the Behr brand which is what I ordered and no wires attached to it. So I called Autohaus, spoke with the manager and after checking their inventory for this part number, it doesn't even show in their computer. All he could do at this point was give me a return authorization number with his apologies. Short internet search later, I ordered from Auto Parts Warehouse, of course after double-checking the numbers with them that I'm ordering the right part. Apparently, the 210 ... number is the dealer number and you get different part numbers depending on the manufacturer. I ordered a Behr brand with the W0133-1609099 number. So, we'll see how it goes and I'll post an update later on.

·
Registered
2009 C300, 2007 E550 4matic, 2006 SLK 55 sold, 2001 SLK320 sold
126 Posts
If you could be so generous, keep me posted on your progress. I also have a 320 with a "possessed" fan. It seems to use the switch position as merely a suggestion. I've lived with it so far, because it provides air at the right temp, just not necessarily at the requested volume. I cleaned the contacts once, but the positive results were only temporary. I've been reluctant to change anything else, as I don't want to spend more time under the car than in it...

I probably need to replace whatever you end up replacing, so let me know how you're doing!

dj

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, finally after waiting for the regulator I ordered the second time I was able to have my brother replace it and it's working again. The AC never felt so good especially after the heat wave that we had a few days ago. Got the regulator from Autopartswarehouse.com, part no. 202 820 73 10 (which is the dealer part no. according to them) Behr part no. W0133-1609099. We had to use the old regulator's red wire cause the one that came with the new one is a bit short. But aside from that it's okay. Additional tip if you're doing this is to remove the passenger's seat which takes about 10-15 minutes to do and it will be a lot easier. No need to remove the seat belt, just put the seat outside the door and you're good to go.

Thanks to those who posted assistance on this under the Tech Tips and good luck to those who have the same problem.

Oh, I almost forgot. It took about 40-45 minutes and that includes removing and putting back the passenger seat.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks to those who posted assistance on this under the Tech Tips and good luck to those who have the same problem.
As one of those with the same problem, I'm indebted for the assistance.

Bazzle or Papa if you're out there,
If the fan blower isn't following the switch position, is this where you'd start?

thanks to all,
dj

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
As one of those with the same problem, I'm indebted for the assistance.

Bazzle or Papa if you're out there,
If the fan blower isn't following the switch position, is this where you'd start?

thanks to all,
dj
I would also check brushes on fan motor 1st.

Bazzle

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bazzle, I'm not much of an engineer when it comes to electrics. When you say "brushes" my throwback memory from college EE brings up vague pictures of parts internal to an electric motor. I had a look at the previous posts, and saw your photos of your own repair. The first photo seems to show the fan assembly still mounted in the dash, and the second shows a small part with a blue and red wire attached. Is that the brush? Is it as easy to replace as removing the wires and installing a new one? Since I'm getting air, just not necessarily the amount I ask for, I'm reluctant to start this until it gets a little cooler around here...

I'll probably go drop it on my head, and then start asking more questions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wait till its gets cooler and your ready to tackle job.
That's probably the way to go, but the more I've thought about it, the more irritated I find myself that some thing's not quite right with the car. I'm not much into changing the lights or grill (even though the ones I've seen on here are quite nice!), but I can't tolerate malfunctioning machinery. I've decided to replace the regulator AND the brushes, and clean out the fan while I'm in there. I may pipe up for help after I've gotten started. If you hear a faint cry for help tomorrow, it's the sound of the assembly hitting me in the forehead...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Couldn't stand it anymore....
Picked a nice 95 F day and swapped the reg. Works like a champ now, and easy to do with all the advice. Thanks guys.

dj

1 - 13 of 13 Posts