Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Erling is one of the appreciated brands for W124 part where I live. Lately I see it made in PR China and Taiwan; found valve stem seals and the front timing O-ring seal (if I get the right name) respectively.

It sounds okay to hear Behr made in South Africa but dunno about the above. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
Do you really want to buy Asian parts for your European car, considering the past experiences of other brands (Behr, Febi Bilstein, Meyle, URO, Hamburg Technic, etc, etc, etc)???

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
really, the best quality parts for these cars are the Mercedes branded ones, they demand a very high standard of QC from their parts suppliers. Even if company XXX makes the Mercedes branded part, the parts that XXX sells on the side may not be the same quality. This has shown up time and time again, with things like Bosch distributor caps, Behr viscous fan couplings, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
It is Elring, who is a long established German parts supplier. Yes, they probably have plants in China like everyone else, but they also have plants in the US. Chinese plant location is driven by the consumer who always goes grubbing for the cheapest part (or a tax cut).

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, cool.

I do look for MB badged parts first then if I don't find, and after several searches, I'd get the supplier's packed stuff. Personally I've never had hiccups with the latter that I can think of, like with S.A.'s Behr radiator and condenser, so I'm afraid I don't have an experience to consider. All four shock absorbers from Belstien and Sacks are doing a really great job for me too. But until now such parts never reached Taiwan or China.

I'm still under the impression that they all last less than MB's. I'm even under the impression that even MB parts I get from the dealer don't seem to live as long as the parts that came from the factory assembly, but I could be wrong.

Oh, and BTW, I contacted Elring. Let's see what they say. I also believe it's not necesarily the consumer who looks for the cheapest (at least I don't), it's the maker that is looking for the cheapest labor and stuff ;)

Gotta be careful from now on.

Cheers!

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
If you're gonna take the gamble on questionable parts, stick only to easy to replace external engine parts.

All parts internal to the engine (lifters, valve guide seals, valve springs, piston rings, head bolts, headgasket, etc), stick with OE/genuine MB parts exclusively. Just my $.02

The big exception are the timing cover, crank and rear main seals. Nothing but genuine MB for those considering the labor involved, especially the rear main seal. Ditto on all filters, especially the trans filter, trans pan, and trans pan gasket.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your 2c is appreciated, as always.

It's more of having no choice than a gamble, really. Until I can purchase online, at least. So far no wrong purchase happened, thankfully. Good thing I asked when I saw those before jumping the gun.

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
U R welcome.

And in regards to BEHR radiators made in South Africa, those are fine. In fact, BEHR SA is a supplier to the MB plant in East London (South Africa)

I prefer the BEHR SA rads over the Nissens, since the Nissens use a oddball drain plug that is not available separately for purchase. A utterly [email protected] design IMO.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some investigation and found there are also German made Elrings (just realized I misspelled it in the title) available around here in different stores. MB originals can't be found anywhere. Yet for some reason rear engine o-ring seal and both front and rear transmission's are available MB originals. Only parts I want are not available the way I want. Typical.

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
...MB originals can't be found anywhere. Yet for some reason rear engine o-ring seal and both front and rear transmission's are available MB originals. Only parts I want are not available the way I want. Typical.
MB dealers sell original MB parts, and nothing but original MB parts. No Febi, no Meyle, no doubt about quality.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked with the dealer and they say it's not available. Well they said it's out of stock and dunno when it will be restocked. Didn't ask about different regional branches. They are far away from me. But I'll keep looking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts