Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
REAR SPEAKERS

2 speakers and crossover added to rear... easier... but used same OEM mounting ring this time to hold the tweeter as well.... since these are only really used as a "rear fill" i didn't worry so much about their location... plus... i was wiped after the front doors...

took plastic tubing from local hardware store... cut and mounted... routed all speaker wires... etc... and cut out some of the backing so the tweeter could fire at a slight angle upwards.... I love how these came out

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,819 Posts
Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,655 Posts
Is the roof rack oem or generic?

Any change in the suspension or all oem still (shocks and rear struts)?

Edit: It's too bad with the original amg monoblocks, the 285 50 18s are NLA.
Khomer2.......just an FYI.....the OEM tires for the ML55 are still available. I recently put a set on my recently purchased 2003 ML55.....size is 285/50/18 . Manufacturer is CONTINENTAL........called the Cross Contact .

I have been extremely happy with them and would recommend them highly !!

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,412 Posts
Khomer2.......just an FYI.....the OEM tires for the ML55 are still available. I recently put a set on my recently purchased 2003 ML55.....size is 285/50/18 . Manufacturer is CONTINENTAL........called the Cross Contact .

I have been extremely happy with them and would recommend them highly !!
Cheers for the share, brother.
Presently have same size shoes, except Toyo Proxy S/Ts. :)

edit: interesting they are back here. 2 years ago, could not find a decent set of this shoe size.

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,655 Posts
Cheers for the share, brother.
Presently have same size shoes, except Toyo Proxy S/Ts. :)

edit: interesting they are back here. 2 years ago, could not find a decent set of this shoe size.
Interesting how I found out about their availability. I knew I was going to need new tires before I even purchased the ML55. I had already contacted several tire dealers in the Atlanta area, and they ALL said that size was no longer available, and they suggested alternatives for the factory ML55 AMG wheels, which are very, very nice.

I had left the 55 at an Atlanta dealer to aim the xenon headlights, flush and fill coolant, perform a multipoint inspection, and print out a VMI for my records.

As I was leaving, I mentioned to the service advisor that i was in the market for new tires and was having difficulty finding the OEM sizing. Just so happened, one of their tire reps was there and after checking he said they were available and they could have them in a few days at a very competitive price. I ordered them on the spot and a week later they were installed along with a four wheel alignment and a differential fluid change.

I don't normally use a dealer for service, but I wanted to be aware of any future issues that might arise, and be qualified for their emergency roadside assistance . Dealership service departments are often willing to meet independent shop prices, just to establish a relationship with the owner. Does not hurt to ask !!

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
AMPLIFIER INSTALL

had to get this monstrosity of an amp hidden... i didn't want it anywhere within the car... too big to mount under glovebox, or behind driver dash... or place under seat (I tried all these locations).

Only one option : fit behind location of CD changer...
Problem : only a couple of mm to spare, and odd opening
Additional Problem : Emergency Car Jack

Attempt number 1:
tracks mounted to CD changer bracket... amp would slide in

Attempt number 4 :
was pretty ingenious, it was going to slide in horizontal and vertical direction to clear the narrow angle.... but.... it was impossible to get it to fit once the tracks were in place

Attempt number 5 : Amp Carrier

90% Completed:

100% done

Now....the "fun part " :
.... all this.... has to go into that small, narrow opening !

Installed :

"Service Mode":

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,655 Posts
Pretty awesome install..congratulations !

Sooooo, the BIG question is : How does it sound ?

Are you using factory speakers.......

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Pretty awesome install..congratulations !

Sooooo, the BIG question is : How does it sound ?

Are you using factory speakers.......
Thanks ! Its a great system... (I removed it from a previous car I owned that was not used often)... no factory speakers... I replaced everything with Focal speakers I had from that same system.

Only thing left is the sub box to complete it... currently it has a second amp in the driver location (from previous owner) that powers the stock under seat bose sub box.

After this... the more interesting stuff starts to come together.
:p

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,655 Posts
amgdvl

If you haven't already picked out your subwoofer, I recently installed one that I am extremely happy with !

Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Enclosed Subwoofer for CAR

might want to consider it...fits perfectly under the W163 driver seat and sounds great !!

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
amgdvl

If you haven't already picked out your subwoofer, I recently installed one that I am extremely happy with !

Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact Powered Enclosed Subwoofer for CAR

might want to consider it...fits perfectly under the W163 driver seat and sounds great !!
thanks for the recommendation... i will look into it.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
NEW FRONT GRILL (Sneak Peak)

This has been in the making for some time... (I am showing one of my "cards" ;) ).... but just want others to know the extent of the refurb / restomod going on...

Modernizing the ML.... wanted to give it a more sporty character... and I really think this grill brings it out perfectly / and suits the style of ml55 perfectly as well.

measure measure measure !

more measuring... the final result would have to be such that the front (silver part) would have to clip into the back (black base) and all angles etc retained. I had to:
a) figure out where to cut so the clips would be retained for structural integrity and
b) ideal part so profile can be smoothed out as the fins taper out - so there would be no "step" in the surface of the fins

Example of complexity of getting the pieces to fit fluidly (bracing was later removed and parts were plastic welded from back) :

dremel and sand out lower triangle area to allow for hood latch release mechanism

Final Teaser Pic - plastic welded on back, bracing removed... note grill is leaning forward because it is not currently attached to mounting points.

All that is left now is filling the front fins and black base with some quick sanding putty... sand down... paint... add grill and mount.

However... I decided to add a front camera... so waiting for a replacement grill that has camera mounting point integrated into it.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,412 Posts
amg,

With the present situation, you have waaay too much time on your hands.
Cheers for sharing your build and upgrade; Very nice work, none-the-less. (y)
Personally, I like to keep any corrections/mods as close to oem year as much as possible, excluding technical upgrades to satisfy the (h)ears.
As much as I love our rides, one day they will be passed down/on.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts