Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... pending funds.

No hyperbole here... you guys will enjoy this build hopefully... and at least appreciate how a seemingly "normal guy" can go from full functioning human being one day.... down the slippery slope the next.... :thumbsup:

BEFORE PIC :

Attachments

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,412 Posts
What build are you planning?
powerplant?
It already looks timeless. :)

Those look like carlsson shoes. Heavy as shiat though.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What build are you planning?
powerplant?
It already looks timeless. :)

Those look like carlsson shoes. Heavy as shiat though.
Lorinsers.... stay tuned...

Please put the original rims back. What you have on the car now is BLASPHEMY.
lol... those are "teaser pics" for a reason....

hold all judgements until the end.... it will be worth it I promise !

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol... those are "teaser pics" for a reason....

hold all judgements until the end.... it will be worth it I promise !
**BONUS TEASER PIC FOR ART** .....

PS: just to be clear.... those are also not the final wheels....but have been on the car for the last month or so

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,819 Posts
I like the colour. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,412 Posts
Is the roof rack oem or generic?

Any change in the suspension or all oem still (shocks and rear struts)?

Edit: It's too bad with the original amg monoblocks, the 285 50 18s are NLA.

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the roof rack oem or generic?

Any change in the suspension or all oem still (shocks and rear struts)?

Edit: It's too bad with the original amg monoblocks, the 285 50 18s are NLA.
roof rack is OEM.

OEM suspension... but will give a second look... car is riding a bit on the high side

regarding power plant... not going to change anything. at that point... will just be COMPLETELY COMPLETELY irresponsible ! ...we dont want that now, do we ? ;)

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YESTERDAY'S UPGRADE :

I will only post as things are completed (some really cool stuff is coming... i promise (overpromise ?) )... :D

But to give a sense of what's going on... here's from yesterday : windshield washer tank and the "all important" radiator hose clamp :

[ ] all rubber replaced, including hoses
[ ] radiator hose clamp

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HEADLINER....

Ok.. so... this was the thing that started my going down the slipper slope... there were some scuffs on the C-pillars... and headliner, and the a-pillars were delaminating slightly (not bad at all... just 1 or 2 not noticeable spots...but we already determined I have "OCD"...so..)...

in addition, I detest light grey / white headliners ... let me just put it nicer : i love dark headliners, and i love alcantara...so... that's what I did. Only problem... plastic trim not available in charcoal... so... had to do that as well !

pics below ! enjoy :thumbsup: :

ps: while I was at it... i removed the mercedes overhead DVD / LCD screen

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the above pictures should start to explain things like this

but just wait for my next forum info request.... its a doozy (and I have never used that word in my life!).. but... would really need some help (in addition to the obvious psychiatric kind...)

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold? 2013 ML500,? 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,819 Posts
Looking fantastic. Those top rear corners are hard to get nice aren’t they. I got 2 small ripples in mine, it was a little annoying but acceptable sort of. Lol the material I had, had absolutely 0 stretch in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HEADLINER (PART 2):

I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves... so... you can see the attention to detail...

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HEADLINER (PART3 "BONUS") :

...because we can't have just an ordinary white Electronic Toll Device (FastTrak/EZPass) in this car, can we ? :D

(yes.!..that's alcantara on one half of the Toll device ;) ..and even the microphone hole has been made thru it.. lol )

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MARCH 2020 UPDATE: Front Door Speakers

Explanation and Build Details in Next Post

·
Registered
2002 ml55
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So here's the deal.... had these extra speakers lying around....

Goal : Install them as OEM would.

Step 1: Mounting Woofer and Tweeter Speakers
Woofer - went directly into OEM (no customization necessary)
Tweeter - made custom enclosures to mount to OEM (had to trim plastic tabs out), and hot glue in place

Step 2: Midrange Speakers
This was difficult.... Tried 3 different types of Speaker Mounting Brackets (from different Mercedes Models ) ... ended up using Speaker rings from 2002 CLK... and repurposed the grills

Had to troubleshoot multiple ways to mount... and proper location to not affect the door panel (not easy!)... this was a process that took a couple of days until landing on the right way. The mount had 3 "feet".... 1 foot was screwed into the same screw hole as the OEM woofer.... I had to make 2 additional holes, inserted plastic mounts, and used the same Mercedes speaker screws to mount...

Step 3: Prepare Door Leather
After determine location for speaker... measuring 100 times... and testing on scrap door panel... Sanded the backing (behind the leather... without breaking through (this was tough... and....scary to do !).

Used the same backing material to recess mount the speaker grill. Even made holes for the grill anchors... and clips to hold them in place (all this sounds a lot easier than it was....)

and then.... I realized they weren't flush mounted the way I wanted... and ended up having to cut the leather around the speaker hole... now.... that.... was hard.... I said a couple of hail mary's (And I am an atheist).... before using a brand new x-acto knife and cutting (!!!!!!!).... this was a one shot deal.... one mess up... and all the work on the doors would have been wasted !

Step 4: Reinforce, Trim, Mount.... Repeat
Made full speaker enclosure for the Midrange, added foam rings and cut for perfect seal to the door panel....

Step 5: Crossover Mounting
Had to find the right location.... tried multiple different spots... mounted and unmounted the door panel at least 30 times ? ... maybe more.... finally picked a close point to the speakers and made custom brackets

Step 6: Finishing
Soldered wires, Sound deadening doors... re-seal (butyl) for vapor barrier.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts