Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,197 Posts
petermerle - 2/23/2005 10:16 PM

Is it possible to operate the EPC on a Pocket PC handheld PDA. Has anyone done it?
PEter
Whoa! you had me going there. I thought you had accomplished a miracle!

Seriously though, I think that it is not even remotely possible. My alternative has been to stick it on the tablet PC that I carry with me when traveling. If you make a virtual CD image of the EPC CD, then you can have it with you at all times w/o needing to insert the physical CD. Handy in my case since it doesn't have a CD drive.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,202 Posts
petermerle - 2/24/2005 1:16 AM

Is it possible to operate the EPC on a Pocket PC handheld PDA. Has anyone done it?
PEter
Actually, it can be done!

But there still has to be a server in the background. You can load EPC on a Citrix or Terminal Server, then use the ICA client for the PDA to access the EPC. The only thing that I am not sure about is the required resolution needed for EPC. You might have to do alot of scrolling to see everything.

I am currently running Virtual Server images of both EPC and WIS. Unfortunately, I loaded EPC using a Window98 image.
I am running WIS on a Windows 2000 Server image. I have been successful on running it in a Termanal environment. I don't have a PDA to test in on though.
The only other problem is that only one user can use WIS at the same time. That is the WIS License feature; if more licenses were added, it would work for more people.

Chuck

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
Alan,

What are you running to get it to work on your tablet. I've tried running it using Virtual CD5 on a toshiba tablet with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005.

No luck.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,197 Posts
I used the product "Alcohol 120%". PM my your email and I'll send you a pdf that describes the process. The pdf is for an earlier version, so some guestimation is needed.

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,202 Posts
If anyone is interested in trying EPC on a PDA. I could probably put something together using Virtual PC using Terminal Services.
PM me if this is worth trying...

Chuck

·
Registered
1982 300GD *2
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have to be withinin network range of the server I guess?
No much good for travelling in the outback.
Peter

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,202 Posts
petermerle - 2/25/2005 1:28 AM

Do you have to be withinin network range of the server I guess?
No much good for travelling in the outback.
Peter
That would be correct.
How often would you need an EPC while in the outback?
On the other hand, it can be accessed from anywhere you have Internet Access (including Internet Cafe's).

Chuck

·
Registered
2000 G300 TD
466 Posts
or via satelite phone... but if you're in the outback you'd probably want to bring a hard copy...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts