Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the EPA for the C320 higher than the EPA for the C240 (e.g. 20/26 Automatic vs. 19/25)? The 320 is over 100 pounds heavier and puts out 47 HP more than the 240. Does this hold true in real driving? If so is it the gearing?

Frank B

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Yes, partly that...

Why is the EPA for the C320 higher than the EPA for the C240 (e.g. 20/26 Automatic vs. 19/25)? The 320 is over 100 pounds heavier and puts out 47 HP more than the 240. Does this hold true in real driving? If so is it the gearing?

Frank B
The rear end ratios are different, as is the tranny gearing.

As far as real world driving, I can tell you that there is a negligable difference between a C320 and C320 4matic (the 4matic is only about 100lbs more). There is a difference between the C240 and C320 though, but not a very large one. The C240 does suck up a little bit less gas, but this will depend on how much city/highway driving you encounter.

One thing to note though, the C240's engine does work harder/revs higher than the C320's engine. That does make a slight difference in longevity, as well as fuel economy of course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Drew. I have a 2003 C240 4matic. I decided the extra cost of the C320 was not wor...

Thanks Drew. I have a 2003 C240 4matic. I decided the extra cost of the C320 was not worth it to me for the extra power (although, I traded in an Audi S4), even though the EPA was about the same. I just wondered about the EPA estimates, as it seemed strange. Longevity is not an issue as I won't keep the car more than 4 years. Thanks again.

Frank B

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
You have to remember that...

Thanks Drew. I have a 2003 C240 4matic. I decided the extra cost of the C320 was not worth it to me for the extra power (although, I traded in an Audi S4), even though the EPA was about the same. I just wondered about the EPA estimates, as it seemed strange. Longevity is not an issue as I won't keep the car more than 4 years. Thanks again.

Frank B
The EPA obtains their figures from lab tests and the car on a dyno (for objective comparison reasons). Therefore you do have to take them with a pinch of salt since lab tests do not always reflect real world tests [:)].

Hope that you're enjoying your car so far!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts