Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SE, 2000 Lexus G300
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
My 560SEC has been running beautifully and gave me no trouble at all up until recently.

Whenever I accelerate faster than about 100km/h (60mph), the whole car starts shaking like crazy, same effect as stalling on the go. When I slow down, it's back to smooth cruising.

If I dont' go above 100kmh, it's absolutely fine, gives no trouble whatsoever.

Any ideas? The effect works great as a speed limiter, however I'm pretty sure that's not what's supposed to happen...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Most likely a wheel is bent. You can verify that it is not the drive train by shifting into neutral and letting up on the gas.

·
Registered
1981 240D
185 Posts
SomewhereInAsia: This is just a theory; but when was the last time you had an alignment done? I just took my W123 in today for a similar issue and it is fine now. A reputable alignment shop will check all your bushings/ball joints as well, so it's a good idea. NordRhein also brings up a good point. You can isolate whether or not it is your drive train. If you have some time, take a look at your flex disks and center bearings. Maybe one is loose or missing a bolt. I had a 1992 190E that was missing a bolt from the rear flex disk and it vibrated at highway speeds.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
My car did the same thing whenever I went over 70mph. It turns out my shocks needed replacing. I replaced them with Bilstein Comforts, and now the smoothness is back. Amazing how something so simple could make my car feel like it was going to fall apart on me.

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts
my 300SE has new shocks, new tires, new brakes, new flex discs, new center bearing new motor and tranny mounts...- and vibrates like hell :(. I'm thinking it's a bent wheel, that's really all it could be.

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
my 300SE has new shocks, new tires, new brakes, new flex discs, new center bearing new motor and tranny mounts...- and vibrates like hell :(. I'm thinking it's a bent wheel, that's really all it could be.
Yup..and if it's not a bent wheel..I'm not sure you wanna know what it is for fear of mucho $$$ to fix! lol...

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,449 Posts

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts