Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I tried to start my car and it did. After it warmed up for a little I was off to school as usual, but I gave it a little gas and it died. Now it won’t start and when it does it chokes and dies again. The engine doesn't over heat and the oil pressure gage doesn't come on. The oil level is fine also. I have one conclusion, it is the fuel pump. If any one has experienced this problem pleas give me some incite. I would appreciate it.

1991 190e 2.6 210k

Anton.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK the car dies when it is warmed up... could it be that the relay to the fuel pump is going bad? Please some one help!!!

I got this reply at 190revolution "check the red fuse on top of your OVP relay behind the battery on the fire wall"

And I did the fuse is fine,but my friend has a BMW and one of his relays went out could it be that. It only didn't work when his car was warm, by that I mean warmed up to the max.

????

Anton
[:(]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i replaced the OVP relay... The same problem keeps on happening. When the car is warmed up it chokes a lot when ideling, if i leav it running it chokes more and more then it dies.

I had my spark plugs replaced after my trany swap a bout 3 months ago.

Anton

·
Registered
91 190E 2.3
41 Posts
I don't know if 2.6 FI system is the same as 2.3, but try this.

http://www.freewebs.com/ltooz/91190e.htm

It's the same symptom.

·
Registered
190e 2.0 litre Euro
211 Posts
It sounds to me like the water temp sensor which is faulty. If it give a wrong reading/no reading the fueling gets messed up - rsult is poor starting esp in warm weather and rough idling with the engine dying sooner or later.

The sensor is a pentagon shape brass item with two electic connectors which run to the ECU. Its right near the front of the engine at the top by the edge of the airbox.

check this link for different types
http://replacement.speedyperformanceparts.com/parts/speedyperformanceparts/wizard.jsp?year=1991&make=MB&model=190-E-005&category=C∂=Water+Temp.+Sensor&appEngines=_any

Mike.

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,186 Posts
ltooz - 4/24/2005 1:58 AM

I don't know if 2.6 FI system is the same as 2.3, but try this.

http://www.freewebs.com/ltooz/91190e.htm

It's the same symptom.
ltooz,

Your advice was GREAT for me several months ago. I have owned my '93 2.3 since new and the starting and idling was not good for the past several years. Even though I kept the air filter, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor changed frequently, the starting and idling kept getting worse.
After cleaning the throttle body like you suggested, the car starts immediately and idles smooth, AND, the gas mileage improved. This is one thread that needs to be kept posted for other 190 owners having this problem.

Thanks again for a simple fix,

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts