Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300CD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I cleaned my ALDA banjo bolt today, thinking "Sweet, things'll start running even better!" It runs great. In fact, it runs so great it just doesn't want to shut off! It shut off the first time I started it after I cleaned the bolt, but the second time I had to press the kill switch. I'm really hoping it isn't finally broken, 'cause I don't have the money to have someone fix it, nor do I feel comfortable fixing something THAT major. Any diagnosis?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
Mostly it is the vacuum shut-off valve on the injection pump, perhaps you've disconnected the vacuum line to it. It is/should be a brown line.

Other possibilities: vacuum shut-off valve is leaky, vacuum valve at ignition lock is leaky, blocked vacuum lines.

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300CD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ It also may be possible that I accidentally cut that brown line when I was taking the ALDA line out by accident. I remember slipping a little with the pliers (those spring clamps blow). If it's just that line, I could buy it at an Autozone or something, right?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
or put the two pieces together with a rubber sock, perhaps the remaining piece of line will fit on the shut-off valve. Otherwise buy new hard plastic line, installing means taking the dashboard under panel off and connecting the new line to the valve of the ignition lock.

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300CD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did some hard looking, and found that I had three vacuum lines disconnected to a valve, one of which being the solid brown one (the other being the door ones). Reattached them, and now it shuts off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts