Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished replacing the timing chain guides, and thus had to pull the distributor. It starts and idles, but will not accelerate from idle. It seems the ignition is not advancing. I know the engine was on TDC and the rotor was pointing toward the ridge mark on the distributor when I installed it. I marked all of the plug wires so I'm certain they are on correctly. I searched how to connect a timing light on the 560SL only to learn that the car times itself! I'm stuck. I don't know what to check. Any help will be appreciated.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
You can check the timing. Connect like you would on any vehicle. 12V and #1 plug wire.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Here are the factory documents.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Rowdie, Djenka018, and JoelB for your input. I put a timing light on the engine and timed it as best I could. I say it that way because the timing light didn’t give me a consistent reading as I expected. But anyway, I found a setting that seemed good, revved up the engine (which I couldn’t do before), and locked down the distributor in that location. I drove the car around the block and it drove normally. So far so good. Tomorrow I’m driving my TR6 to San Diego for an All-British car-show (from Phoenix) so I had to devote my time to getting ready for that. I’ll drive the SL when I get home and give you all a full report.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts