Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 c180k
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had to change by engine harness wiring and camshaft magnets at MB workshop when the engine light came on. i practically changed all sensors as the camshaft sensors were burnt by hot oil, shud i kip some of the old sensors for future use or throw them away?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Often there's just oil in the wiring harness connectors,.... so a good cleaning with an electrical cleaner like CRC QD Electronic cleaner will do,....

Which sensors did you change? Listing the Mercedes part number might be easier,... part number should start with A203-___-__-__ (about 10 digits in total). Then I can tell you if they're worth keeping.

·
Registered
2005 c180k
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine wiring harness

@ sunnyray totronto. the part number is a271 150 29 33 and 2 oxygen sensors, a002 540 06 17 and a003 542 73 18

·
Registered
223 Posts
Heck, if you don't want those wires and o2 sensors,.... ship them to me, I'll take them!

Seriously, you should keep them,... there's likely nothing wrong with them except oil in the plugs,... so they need a good cleaning with something like CRC QD Electronic Cleaner to clean out the oil. Usually a garage will just replace them because they'll make more money selling the part.

You really need to find out where the oil is coming from,.... I would suspect a leaking cam (magnet) sensor. It's common on 271 engines. Look at front of engine near the top,... there's 2 metal hockey puck (cylinder) shaped things about 3 inches in diameter,... each has plug near bottom with wires going out of it,... unplug them and check for oil,... just stick your finger up that plug and see if there's oil there,... if so, you need cam senors, safety wire, plugs, etc,.... report back.

If you don't fix the leaking oil,... then you should expect more repairs,... for replacing 02 sensors AGAIN,.... ECU, main wiring harness, etc,....

·
Registered
2005 c180k
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ sunnyray. i recently replaced those things at my last service. they cost me a fortune.i'll take them to bosch car services for cleaning and keep them. i think the engine is all good, ecxept that ther is new sound at the top left of the engine. it sounds like compressed air leaking from a tyre. the noise comes from around the pulley with a nose on the top left of the engine. dont know if its a pulley or what. funny thing is when i switch off engine , the pulleys stop before the sound does, so i think it aint the pulley. the mb workshop advised me to check mot valve pipes and they wer ok. any idea?

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can clean the main wiring harness and 02 sensors yourself,.... get some CRC QD Electrical Cleaner and spray at the plugs,... that's it. If you can't get CRC QD Electrical Cleaner,... then just soak those items in alcohol,.... the chemical alcohol that you find at drugstore,... should be quite common. Not to be confused with the drinking alcohol which is all to common too.

As for that compressed air noise that you still get after you turned off the car,... it could be the front radiator fan (if car is too hot) or AC compressor (if AC is still on) or auxilary coolant fan pump (the little fist size cylinder pump right in front of coolant tank,... usually on if heater is on). But these 3 are normal if those functions are on,....

Maybe have someone watch and listen to the engine bay as you turn off the car so you can pinpoint the source of the noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts