Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How could I know it is on the way out?

I have a feeling it is on the way out because recently, my car idled at around 150rpm but did not die out (this happened once)... also, my car had developed this hard starting habit.. Well strictly speaking it is not hard to start, it just takes more cranks of the starter motor to get the engine going... it used to be really quick...

Thanks for any info,
Jeff

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
I'm pretty sure your model suffers from the dreaded engine wiring harness problem. To verify, unwrap some of the tape around the wiring and check if the insulation is brittle. If so, replace the wiring. Some mechanics will refuse to even begin diagnosing drivability problems unless the wiring has been replaced on these cars.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
You are absolutely right. Most shops will NOT service cars with bad harnesses unless it is on the list of things to replace.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had to replace the engine wiring harness on my 1992 400e this weekend. The best price I was quoted for a new one was $569.00 from one of the internet auto parts places. Fortunately, I found one that was like new in one of the local junkyards. I got it for $350.00 and put it in myself.

My old harness was a shambles. The insulation crumbled off of every wire in it. Mercedes should be ashamed of putting out crap like this. I'm sure that, if I keep the car, I'll have to do this all over again in several years.

Charles

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
I think if you want to keep the car and drive it for a while, you should of just added 300 more and put in a new one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A new one wasn't necessary as the one I got had obviously been put in the car shortly before it was wrecked.

Also, why spend the extra money on a part that is only going to need replacement anyway?

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
If you got a non-original, used wiring harness then you did okay. It should last the life of your car.

One way to tell if the wiring is a newer replacement set is by a suffix (R?, S?) on the part number found on the tag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts