Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanic just told me I need a new EWH for my '95 E320 w/153,000 miles on her. From reading these posts it sounds legit.

How much should it cost (US$)?
Any recommendations on reducing the cost, like buying the parts myself and bringing it to my mechanic??
Should I bring a job like this to the dealer??
Any thoughts appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
I bought mine from http://catalog.mercedesshop.com

Depending on which harness your car needs (there are two different styles), it'll cost either $839 or $899. Shop time should be around 2 hours.

First find the part number for your wiring harness. It's located on a tag about a foot or two down from the bulkhead connector. The bulkhead connector is behind the battery. It'll smooth things along for when you order the part.

Depending on your comfort level working with cars, this is an easy DIY job. It takes 2-4 hours to do this job. It's not necessary to have a dealer do the job, though it may help to get a quote from them.

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Plan on spending at least $800 for the part.
The shop wil probably charge you 3 to 4 hours
for labor. These connections need to be done carefuly and correctlty. There are many connectors.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
That's about right on time, give or take a bit..

Shoot me your VIN and I'll let you know what I can get them for etc..

Jonathan

·
Registered
'95 E320
82 Posts
I recently replaced mine myself. My part number was 124 440 56 32, and I paid $720 for it. I started on a Friday night, and would have finished on Saturday, but I broke a few small plastic parts in the process and had to order them.

Overall, it was a pretty easy process, though some of the plugs were a little difficult to reach. If you decide to do it yourself, just take your time and replace one plug at a time and you shouldn't have any problem.

Go ahead and put new spark plugs in while you're at it, and if you haven't replaced your OVP relay, do that too.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
124 440 56 32 is the part number for earlier 95 E320s. My vehicle, which is a later model, took 124 440 29 33. That's why I suggest looking up the old part number. It'll save on grief and the hassle of returning the part, which I had to go through.

The toughest part of the job was the connector for the transmission. It takes the hands of a 7-year-old to properly unplug that connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts