Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i asked this question last year, i was hoping there might be some new info now that some time has passed. i upgraded my sound system using the existing head unit. i added a passive sony equalizer, an alpine 5 channel power amp, removed the stock twin bose subs in the hatshelf and replaced them with mb quart full range speakers. and added a 12' mb quartz box sub in the trunk. it sounds great except for a high pitched engine whine. does anyone know of an aftermarket stereo installer in the d.c. metro area that might be able to go over the system and detect and solve my problem? thanks in advance, larry (2000 clk 430)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Possible reasons for engine whine are speaker wires both running down the same side of the car to the trunk, speaker wires bundled with power wire and ground wire leading to amplifier, using very thin gauge speaker wire or unshielded speaker wire. The output of Bose dedicated amplifier boards (made by Clarion)is as low as 1 ohm. MB Quart speakers are 4 ohm. The best way to upgrade without problems and mismatch, plus greater reliability, is to use new wiring, amplifiers, and coaxial speakers. There is a common phrase in the car audio community: 'No highs, no lows, it must be Bose!' P.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had this problem once on a car that I upgraded the stereo on and the solution was to change to different/better spark plugs. Not sure if it will work here, but it did the trick with my car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks peter, i will head back to the shop to ask them to check the points you listed. i appreciate your reply....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you know, my brother suggested the same thing. he said something about the resistors on the plugs are operating at the same or a conflicting frequency as the amps. ill give that a shot, it cant be that expensive to have the spark plugs changed. thanks for your response.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine whine comes from the alternator, not the engine. If your amp and head unit use two ground and the signal ground connects both unit, the alternator noise could be introduced into your system. <br>
Please search for 'engine noise' and 'audio' on google, you might find some information about 'ground loop'.<br>
Ground loop isolators can solve the the ground loop problem. They are cheap online. A pair of them is enough for testing/trouble shooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts