Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went a an aftermarket stereo installer and had an alpine 5-channel amp added, along with a sony equalizer installed in the empty black hole where the pocket used to be under the factory radio. i kept the orginal head unit so i could still use the steering wheel controls. i also replaced the rear hatshelf subs with full range m-b quartz and added a 10 inch sub in the trunk. man does it sound great. my only regret is that i now have a high pitched engine whine. anyone have any sugestions to help eliminate it? i was told changing the spark plugs ones with a different resistor might do the trick. anyone else have this problem? thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Larry, make sure the power is run on the left side of the vehicle and the preamp cabling on the right side back to the rear of the car - power and preamp need to be separated. The next thing is to check that the ground for the amp is very short, same guage as power cable, and tied to a good ground (unpainted metal part of car, tight connection, check with ohm meter).<br> John

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: DOESN'T IT GET LOUDER AS YOU ACCELERATE?

no it doesnt change or get louder with acceleration, lights on, a/c on etc. it simply is a very high pitched whine thats only evident when the volume is low....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: engine whine after market upgrade of bose system 2000 clk430

john, thank you for the advice, ill check it out ....larry

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Re: engine whine after market upgrade of bose system 2000 clk430

Larry,<br> <br> I've never personally pulled the head unit from a clk, but usually stock decks do not have low level outputs (RCA Jacks) hanging on the back of them. this is to make it difficult for those who like higher end systems to upgrade using aftermarket parts. <br> <br> Two things that could be used to add in low level outputs: <br> <br> 1) a specific adapter made for your deck by companies like Metra/Directed Electronics/Aamp. These usually will cost a bundle ($100 on up). These usually had a proprietary plug that connected to the stock deck, and provided female rca plugs to your amp.<br> <br> 2) Hi-Low Level converters that use the speaker outputs (high power) to low level outputs to plug into the line level inputs on your amp. Looks like a little black box with three wires (pair for speakers and a common ground) with a pig tail that has female rca connectors. It also has a screw pot for adjusting levels.<br> <br> If the latter was used, you possibly have an impedance issue on the converter, or ground loop. Either way, to trouble shoot will require you pull the deck, or find out where the shop tapped the speaker output. A reputable shop would not have let your car roll with engine noise. That's a big no-no in the car audio industry. Especially on a Benz. Companies do make filters to correct this type of problem.<br> <br> If the MBZ Bose systems are anything like the Nissan Maximas, then they had one wire from a control unit, that sat after the deck, to the speakers. Each speaker had it's own amplifier and grounded itself to the chassis.<br> <br> Deck<br> |<br> Control Unit<br> |---->amplified speaker<br> |---->amplified speaker<br> <br> These created a lot of issues converting the output down to what the Hi-low converters could handle, as well as the amp. I had a couple of run in with these, in my previous profession, with people who just wanted to add in a powered basse tube or amp and subs.<br> <br> If the shop who installed it won't take care of it, check with a reputable custom shop within your area. Usually, the shops who are IASCA/MCEP/USAC members are the ones who compete. They are focused on sound quality, not only bass.<br> <br> Good luck.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Re: Re: engine whine after market upgrade of bose system 2000 clk430

thank you. i will check around for another shop to see if they can help remedy the problem. i appreciate you taking the time to respond....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts