Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to have your engine washed and hose off with water? Would it do any damage to the electronic parts?

Eddie

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
As long as you don't get creative and use a pressure washer or steam. With the engine warm (but not hot) spray the engine down with an engine degreaser, use a brush or rag to loosen any caked on grime and use filtered water if possible to rinse it with a mist, no pressure that can force water into the watertight connectors that aren't designed to handle pressure. You may want to remove the plastic belly pans under the motor so you can get the underneath clean and the belly pan won't catch all that solvent and water. Once you have it clean, if you like it to look as good as new, after it dries, spray it completely with undiluted Meguiars Hyperdressing, don't touch, just let it dry and your engine will look like something in a car show.

·
Registered
77 Posts
slow down

You need to wrap all sensors and exposed wires in cling film. Then cover the engine in trafic film remover ("TFR" an industrial strength degreaser) then clean with low pressure water. When dry (maybe use a leaf blower) you cover the engine in wd40 (not neccessary) & a high gloss engine dresser (neccessary).

I've known two people who have wasted there uber expensive engines by blasting them with water, the costs where $$$ excluding lorry costs i.e. loading a car onto a lorry then driving 300 miles to fix it. The electronics needed fixing as well. Say $1000 to snort out a session with a hose

If if needs done, get an 'expert' to do it. If he fries your ECU its his fault. He (should) pay the for the damage

Even better, get benz to do it!

please, dont destroy your car by following poor advice!

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
wuzoo said:
slow down

You need to wrap all sensors and exposed wires in cling film. Then cover the engine in trafic film remover ("TFR" an industrial strength degreaser) then clean with low pressure water. When dry (maybe use a leaf blower) you cover the engine in wd40 (not neccessary) & a high gloss engine dresser (neccessary).

I've known two people who have wasted there uber expensive engines by blasting them with water, the costs where $$$ excluding lorry costs i.e. loading a car onto a lorry then driving 300 miles to fix it. The electronics needed fixing as well. Say $1000 to snort out a session with a hose

If if needs done, get an 'expert' to do it. If he fries your ECU its his fault. He (should) pay the for the damage

Even better, get benz to do it!

please, dont destroy your car by following poor advice!

BTW spraying cold water onto a warm engine will destort hot metal. If you spray cold water onto a hot engine block then there is a good chance of affecting said block, aluminum or not. The 'learned' say to run your engine whilst washing your engine, as the heat evaporates the water meaning your spark plugs should not misfire. Ignore heat for 'drying' use WD40!
DON'T use WD-40. WD-40 attracts dirt, and that'll cause rubber parts to degrade faster. Use 303 Aerospace Protectant. That's some good stuff, it cleans, makes the hoses look good, doesn't attract dirt, and protects them from heat damage.

Check these links out regarding cleaning your engine, pretty helpful.
http://autopia-carcare.com/inf-engine.html
http://the126.com/enginecleaning.htm

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
For what it's worth, this is a picture of my wife's old 1997 Honda CR-V. The engine was never cleaned before but had to get it cleaned to sell the car. This represents about 4 minutes (or $2 worth) of using the gun from a coin-op car wash, driving it to dry the motor. 10 minutes going over it with a rag to and Meguiars multi purpose cleaner to get what the wand at the car wash couldn't get and 3 minutes of spraying on Hyperdressing.

I took the car to a college car sale, sold it while I was sticking info on the window. One look at the motor and they were convinced that this car was maintained by a fanatic (furthest from thruth, my wife doesn't always follow up on maintenance).

·
Registered
77 Posts
agreed wd40 is not good. Its good for drying out damp ht caps and spark plugs. But as bullwinkle says it attracts dirt big time.

btw nice engine bay

·
Registered
2003 S430 Sport Edition
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice engine bay buellwinkle. Looks like a pic taking from a dealer. Very clean engine.

Eddie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts