Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
2001 ML320, 2000 ML430
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dropped the lower oil pan on my 01 320. Here is what it looks like. Lots of varnish and carbon. Is there a treatment that is best for removing such deposits? Searching the site I saw most commentary focused on cleaning the intake valves which I understand to be a totally separate process. Thanks for any recommendations.

Attachments

W163 and General M Gremlin
Some TLC, I use at regular intervals of Seafoam.
What fuel grade have you been using?

Premium Member
2001 ML320, 2000 ML430
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some TLC, I use at regular intervals of Seafoam.
What fuel grade have you been using?

93 for the past few years. 89 before that.

W163 and General M Gremlin
Might want to check to see if you're running lean.
Regardless, I'd still give her seafoam to clean her out or even techron.

Registered
Dallas, Texas
I just dropped the lower oil pan on my 01 320. Here is what it looks like. Lots of varnish and carbon. Is there a treatment that is best for removing such deposits? Searching the site I saw most commentary focused on cleaning the intake valves which I understand to be a totally separate process. Thanks for any recommendations.
Why is oil pan off?

Registered
2020 AMG GT 63 S, 2017 SL 550
I have used Auto-RX Plus for years. Slowly cleans all sludge and varnish from oil galleries and pans. After the initial clean...then rinse phase you only need to put 3-4 oz. as a maintenance treatment. Risolone or god forbid ATF clean too fast and can cause large particles to fall off and clog passages and pick up.

Premium Member
2001 ML320, 2000 ML430
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure leak is not from oil level sensor.
My E320 leaks through electrical pins of sensor. Not big enough to justify repair.
I have been losing a quart every 500 miles or so. I know that the rear main seal is leaking but there was fresh oil on the oil pan bottom. I am going to replace the dipstick grommet. I will look at the oil level sensor.

Premium Member
2001 ML320, 2000 ML430
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have used Auto-RX Plus for years. Slowly cleans all sludge and varnish from oil galleries and pans. After the initial clean...then rinse phase you only need to put 3-4 oz. as a maintenance treatment. Risolone or god forbid ATF clean too fast and can cause large particles to fall off and clog passages and pick up.
I have read good things about Auto-RX. I鈥檓 going to give it a shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts