Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989 w124 260 E
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so my mercedes seams to tremble when I start it up like it is on the verge of dying at very low revs. When I put it into reverse it makes the whole car shake. Also, when I'm driving, it will start to bog when I press the gas so I have to keep my foot light on the gas. Then sometimes it will die while I'm driving. I think it has something to do with fuel not getting to the engine so maybe the fuel pump is out. But it doesn't always do this... sometimes it runs fine. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1989 w124 260 E
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a light thats on in my dash. It looks to me like a radiator sign so I don't think its relevant.

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
Mine started doing something similar tonight, won't start unless I flutter the accelerator, won't idle or accelerate for s**t but runs ok over 2500rpm. Economy/vacuum guage is pegged in the red at idle and sits about mid point once the car gets rolling. Vacuum loss at idle is enough to deplete the power brake assist, but builds back up when moving again. I limped home from work tonight, but I'll be driving the Stealth until I get this figured out.

·
Registered
1979 450SEL (On The way), 1980 240D, 1985 300D Turbo, 1989 300E 24v, 2004 C230 Kompressor
54 Posts
First step: Run a short test, then if that don't work keeping running it until the problem starts, then record all the short test info until it comes out on paper. Or it could have a bad mass flow sensor left or right.

·
Registered
1976 BMW 2002. 1991 250TD. 1995 E320. 2018 Honda Africa Twin
2,741 Posts
Always get a thorough tuneup (plugs, wires, fuel and air filter, cap, rotor, etc) so that you have a baseline of what you can eliminate for most rough running problems.

Go do that, then report back.

·
Registered
1986 300E in Charcoal Grey
4 Posts
I had the very same problem with my 1989 300CE. It would idle unbearably roughly, but would run smooth as ever over about 35mph. Sometimes in the midst of driving, the engine would just die.

I finally gave up and took it to the Mercedes dealership seeing as this is my daily driver for a broke college student. Among the $5000 they expectedly recommended in needless services, I had them single out and replace the fuel distributor and the OVP which cost about $700 altogether. Sadly the car still idles like crap, which is probably my gasket, but it hasn't cut off since then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts