Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Daily Drive 82 240D 4 speed
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my engine has been making a small ticking noise after 2,500RPM. It seems to match engine speeds, and is slightly louder under heavier loads. White-ish smoke is slightly visible at idle and prior to ticking, but more clearly noticeable during the ticking. Did a valve adjustment and ticking continued. (throttle response is nice though)

Coolant level is unchanged, both coolant and oil are perfectly fine. not milky or anything.

So I'm wondering if a bad injector could cause ticking? but i would think the smoke would be black from not atomizing.

Second guess would be injection timing. I've heard that chain stretch can affect the timing of the injectors and that this can make white-ish gray smoke, but would that cause a ticking noise?

Thoughts? Theories?

Sorry for the long post. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,955 Posts
If it only happens above 2500 rpm and is slightly more pronounced under heavy load, I would suspect injection timing. Have you checked the timing chain stretch?

Bad injection timing can cause ticking or diesel knock. The timing of my pump was two degrees late, it caused a low knock under upper partial and full load.

Normally you would check a bad injector by unscrewing the fuel line to the suspected one, but perhaps it is not a very good test if it only happens above 2500 rpm. You could take the injectors out and check them/have them checked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts