Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Benz S320 SWB / 1986 Porsche 911 Targa / 1998 Benz CL 500
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I havent had complaints lately but as seasons changed and temperature drops are more significant during early mornings, I am beginning to hear kind of tick tick ticks for a couple seconds ( 5-10 ) after first ignition and then they go away. ( M104 Engine )

I am suspicious of hydraulic valve lifters, would changing them have any effect on the engine or would it be just self satisfaction making the noise go away? What I am trying to say is would it be worth it cause its not a single part and when changing I guess you have to change all 24 of them inclusive of a head gasket etc etc.

Does anyone know the part number and how much they are? They were about USD 30 for BMW s I am assuming they are around the same price margin?

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 s500 Coupe Black,ECU Tune,Mag Muffler,20's
192 Posts
I just payed for one the other day there called cam oil tappits or fittings i would just change out the one that is bad there is a metal replacement if you choose but only online.The part number is ...#119.180.02.66 this is the dealer part number.cost is $27.00

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How could you specify exactly which one it is? I mean its nearly impossible by listening, do you remove the cover, take them all out and examine by hand or something?

·
Registered
192 Posts
What you do is start the engine lift the hood up and take the cover off and listin on both sides of the engine block if the noise is louder on what ever side left or right then thats where you start. Remove necessary parts and feel the ends of the oil cam tips each one if the end is missing or push out you have the bad one turn engine off and replace the bad tappit.This is how i did it.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Cam oilers are a problem on the 119 motor but not the 104 motor. Lifters are about $20 each. There is a test for them, although it's not real scientific. I'd start with a stethoscope to see if you can tell where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You are rite the 119 engine has plastic cam oilers and the 104 had metal cam oilers if one can find the metal ones then the problem is gone.

·
Registered
99 S320 (Sold at 280,000 miles) 2010 S550, 2008 C300, 08 SLK
445 Posts
I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't change ALL the lifters while you were in there.

·
Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
replace the oil pressure check valve below the oil filter.

if that doenst fix it, then your timing chain tentioner needs replaced.

go to your local dealer and explain the problem, and they will sell you the appropriate kit...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

go to your local dealer and explain the problem, and they will sell you the appropriate kit...
Oh my, timing chain tensioner, this is becoming a more serious job then I had hoped it to be.

Suppose I dont touch it, I mean it only makes a sound in cold weather and its only for a couple seconds?

·
Registered
1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
1,128 Posts
:)
Earlier 119 motor had metal while later had plastic. The 104 motor doesn't have a comparable part.
Would one manufactured in 92 have the metal ones? If so this is glorious news:)

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Oh my, timing chain tensioner, this is becoming a more serious job then I had hoped it to be.

Suppose I dont touch it, I mean it only makes a sound in cold weather and its only for a couple seconds?
With a stethoscope you should be able to tell if the noise is coming from the valve(s) or the timing chain on the front of the engine. Cold start timing chain noises are not to be triffled with - should do the upper chain guides and tensioner soon. You could start with the check valve job, pretty easy, but hasn't made much difference for me. Valve related ticking is not so traumatic.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
if the ticking is only for a couple of seconds at cold starts i wouldn't worry. what oil are you using?
also air pump could be causing the noise, or exhaust part.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Smoke Silver
84 Posts
please let me know what you find out. my 97 S500 does the same thing, (at times)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if the ticking is only for a couple of seconds at cold starts i wouldn't worry. what oil are you using?
also air pump could be causing the noise, or exhaust part.
Well, I seldomly hear anything in spring or summer but when winter comes along and early morning temperatures drop down to 10 Degrees Celcius or lower I hear it only for a couple seconds then it goes away, the noise is more obvious if I dont drive the car for like 3, 4 days, on a daily basis I dont hear it every morning.

I use Mobil 0W 40 during winter and 10W 40 during the summer, but then again, I change it only for the sake of it, I rarely drive the W140 during the winter, this week is probably my last week, then it sleeps till around late April or early May in the garage.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
don't worry, it's perfectly normal. same thing happens to my cars (both have m104 and have done it for years since i got them). i don't drive the s320 every day, and when it sits for a few days it ticks for a few seconds at start up. same thing in my e320 which does it every day.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I replaced the check valve and the timing chain tensioner ( the mechanism with an allen head ) I guess the tensioner will make a difference it was pretty worn out on the head and the spring inside it was at least a couple inches pressed down then the new one I bought.

Thanks Bayhas:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
Cool!

Let us know what is your long term feedback in few weeks...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Even though not too many weeks passed, up till today, noise is definately gone, thanks again bayhas:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts