Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 2002 S430
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine temp when warmed up on average sits right at about the 80 mark. But I noticed when I let it idle for 10 minutes yesterday it climbed to the next mark above it (which I believe is 90 but it is not labeled, just the line right at midway). Is this normal? If not, I may be looking at replacing the thermostat and cannot find the procedure on here for that but know there has got to be a writeup on it somewhere in the forum (if anyone has it please post it). Thanks.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
My engine temp when warmed up on average sits right at about the 80 mark. But I noticed when I let it idle for 10 minutes yesterday it climbed to the next mark above it (which I believe is 90 but it is not labeled, just the line right at midway). Is this normal? If not, I may be looking at replacing the thermostat and cannot find the procedure on here for that but know there has got to be a writeup on it somewhere in the forum (if anyone has it please post it). Thanks.
Normal...

In hot weather around 95+ is normal for some cars.
Depends at what temp your electric fans kick in...

·
Registered
1995 E320 Wagon, 2002 S430
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RBYCC is correct, between 80c & 100c is normal.
This is good to know. My car is operating right at normal then. Japanese cars are nowhere near as precise as this car, takes some getting used to I guess.

But just for future reference, where is the Thermostat located and does anyone know if a write-up exists in here for that? Also, are most of you using the genuine Mercedes coolant, the aqua marine colored stuff? Or are you using something else and if so what? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If you watch the gauge rise/fall, you'll be shocked at how quickly it reflects changes in temperature.

It works the way a gauge should, no buffer or averaging.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,669 Posts
For coolant, use Zerex G-05. It is Mercedes OEM fluid. Get the fish tank blue stuff out of there. As for your thermostat location... it's under the dome that your upper radiator hose connects to..

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
1987 300D Turbo (RIP), 1995 E420, 1993 400E
111 Posts
OK... How about on a 400E? Similar temps? My E420 would rise and fall quite a bit too. I don't think that I have ever heard the electic fans kick on in this car, but I haven't gotten it up to the next line on the guage either...

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
682 Posts
the mark above the 80 thats not labled is 100.
my car sits at 80, sometimes just above, BUT i have another, new and correctly calibrated sensor on the megasquirt setup, and it indicates 92 to 96 at all times when driving! so on my car at least, there is a 10 degree difference.

·
Registered
1983 W123 300CD OM617: 1992 W124 400E M119
235 Posts
OK... How about on a 400E? Similar temps? My E420 would rise and fall quite a bit too. I don't think that I have ever heard the electic fans kick on in this car, but I haven't gotten it up to the next line on the guage either...

Thanks,

Aaron
Most 400Es will tend to run a little bit hotter. I'm sure you share my busted knuckles from the limited access with that V8 stuffed in there. :D Note that on these cars, the gauge shows the exact temp. It doesn't average or sit in the middle the way many new(er) vehicles do.

Very heavy traffic in an Atlanta summer with the A/C on, my 400E might idle a little over 100C. That's with a new radiator, new fan clutch :)eek:$$$$$:eek:), new-ish water pump, and recent citric acid flush.

If you're not approaching the red zone you are probably fine but if you don't know the last time the coolant was flushed, it would be good practice to do so.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I've had 4 400E/E420s and have not had a car that ran hot. I throw away the belly pan first thing which helps greatly. They consistently run 80-90 degrees. I think they might actually run cooler than an E320. With the 2.24 rear axle these cars are soooo understressed. I also think this V8 "stuffed" issue is overblown. The engine is shorter. What is it that so much harder to access? Motor mounts I suppose.

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Same, mine runs between 80 & 100 depending on traffic.

No traffic and it sits on 85c
OK... How about on a 400E? Similar temps? My E420 would rise and fall quite a bit too.

Thanks,

Aaron
Most 400Es will tend to run a little bit hotter. I'm sure you share my busted knuckles from the limited access with that V8 stuffed in there. :D Note that on these cars, the gauge shows the exact temp. It doesn't average or sit in the middle the way many new(er) vehicles do.

Very heavy traffic in an Atlanta summer with the A/C on, my 400E might idle a little over 100C. That's with a new radiator, new .
I've had 4 400E/E420s and have not had a car that ran hot. I throw away the belly pan first thing which helps greatly. They consistently run 80-90 degrees. I think they might actually run cooler than an E320. With the 2.24 rear axle these cars are soooo understressed. I also think this V8 "stuffed" issue is overblown. The engine is shorter. What is it that so much harder to access? Motor mounts I suppose.
I guess no one read my post.

400E/E420's do not run any higher temp then a E320.

I worked for MB dealers from 82 to 99 so I worked on every year W124. My personal E420 runs the same exact temp as any 300E/E320 I've worked on.

·
Registered
1983 W123 300CD OM617: 1992 W124 400E M119
235 Posts
No need to argue - my post was quite clear and not an absolute. There is a difference between my post #11 and saying "All 400Es run hot."

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Most 400Es will tend to run a little bit hotter.
I guess no one read my post.

400E/E420's do not run any higher temp then a E320.

Never said "ALL"

You said most, I'm saying if a 400E/E420 runs hotter then any other W124 it has a problem. They "ALL" run about the same temp. Again, this is working at the dealer during 1992, 1993, 1994 & 1995 and driving many, many 124.034 cars so I have a good amount of experience with this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Engine temps...

Very heavy traffic in an Atlanta summer with the A/C on, my 400E might idle a little over 100C. That's with a new radiator, new fan clutch :)eek:$$$$$:eek:), new-ish water pump, and recent citric acid flush.

If you're not approaching the red zone you are probably fine but if you don't know the last time the coolant was flushed, it would be good practice to do so.
Sounds like I'm right in with the pack then. The car has a new radiator/clutch as well. It was always a psycological thing with my (old) 420 that I thought it ran hot. Would usually sit right smack in the center of the guage when sitting in traffig with the A/C on, apparently that's coolish. I bought the 400 this past Feb. We had an 83degree day here near Chicago a few weeks back (not normal weather here) and I was slightly worried that it rose to about the 90 degree mark while sitting stuck in traffic with no A/C (needs a charge). If my thinking's correct, this car runs every so slighly warmer thany my 420 which would be a kick below that with the A/C off in similar traffic/weather conditions. The only difference being is that my 420 was green, and this 400 is black. Could that account for a few degrees?

Other than that, I'm glad to see hear that my car is within operating spec!

Thanks guys,

Aaron

·
Registered
111 Posts
Never said "ALL"

You said most, I'm saying if a 400E/E420 runs hotter then any other W124 it has a problem. They "ALL" run about the same temp. Again, this is working at the dealer during 1992, 1993, 1994 & 1995 and driving many, many 124.034 cars so I have a good amount of experience with this.
You aint lyin!

Growing up we had two IDENTICAL W123 300ds. Same color, options, etc. Don't as why we had two, VERY long story. They were both driven the same (rough) mileage on pretty much the same roads with the same driving style. All things considered, they were about as identical as you could possibly get, however, Mom's car always ran warmer than Dad's. According to the VINs (if I recall the story), there was one car built in between them at the factory. They didn't come off the line consecutivly. Doing some research recently on what I thought the the vin of the other car might be returned that it was a Black 300D with the exact same specs, whereas my folk's cars were blue.

From an engineering persepective, it is amazing at how extremly slightly variations can affect these cars. Everything from casting textures from sand casting, to EXTREMELY small variations in bolt torque, etc. My only thought on this is that these cars are built so well, with such precision, that any such variations can be made apparent in slight performance, temperature, and operational differences... NOT BAD!

Regards,

Aaron

1 - 17 of 17 Posts