Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning the CEL came on and it took the temp gage 30 minutes at 77 MPH to reach 80 C, MPG was 22.2(normally 24 to 25 MPG).
I assume its the thermostat, I checked around and the dealer wants $140, another store with the Wahler brand is asking $118. Both include the AL housing.
Please confirm that Wahler is the OE brand.
Anything to watch for on this wrenching job?
Thanks a Bunch

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought the Wahler thermostat from an import shop, the one on the car is a Wahler also, it looks like I need to remove the air pump and belt to get at it.

(I love this self help forum, you get to ask a question and then answer yourself a few hours later)

The big question now: Should I put gasket RTV on the rubberized gasket?
May be Roadking knows the answer? Well find out tomorrow!

·
Registered
375 Posts
It has been a while since I changed a thermostat-any thermostat. The last one I changed had an obvious problem physically, in that there was a crack in its "base." Am assuming your shows no signs of such a problem.

The test used to be to put it in a pot of water and heat the pot up with a thermometer to see if it opened close to specs.

Curious as to whether you plan to check what you have in that or in another fashion.

Sorry that I am not a help on your gasket question.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jimbo,
I remember in the good ol days when thermostats went on sale for $1.99 and you tested the old ones with a pot of boiling water.
Things are a bit different now, the thermostat was a good deal at $118 plus tax and you plug a wire connector into it.
I just finished a DIY sticky on the subject and posted it in the Sticky section.
The old thermostat had a gap in it, so there was no need to test it (Look at the picture in the sticky)
Thanks again for responding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts