Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an OM617A from an 83 300TD in my 82 300GD G-wagen and after having a bit of a heat wave up here on the Canadian Prairies I think my engine might be overheating. For the first time it got up to 100C while on the highway for about 15-20 minutes at about 4500rpm. It then stayed at that temp for the next 45 min. The oil temp was 120C for the same duration. As soon as I slowed to about 3800-4000rpm, both cooled by about 10C. Is this a normal operating temp?

Hope someone can help.

Steve Tymko

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
300 GD Turbo Temps

Heat is not a bad thing at the level you mention. When it cooled back to the lower temp, that would be an acceptable running temp. My 300 GD is a non-turbo '85 and that seems to be what happens when you "push" a bit hard or if you are towing. Did you have the air-conditioning on "Max" cool? When it is over 80 degrres outside this seems to happen often. I rplaced the old anti-freeze when I flused the radiator, with Mercedes-Benz Antifreeze. That helped. It costs a bit more, but seems to improve the cooling a lot. [:D]

·
Registered
'82 300GD TD (Sold), '02 G500, '09 B200
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 300 GD Turbo Temps

Heat is not a bad thing at the level you mention. When it cooled back to the lower temp, that would be an acceptable running temp. My 300 GD is a non-turbo '85 and that seems to be what happens when you "push" a bit hard or if you are towing. Did you have the air-conditioning on "Max" cool? When it is over 80 degrres outside this seems to happen often. I rplaced the old anti-freeze when I flused the radiator, with Mercedes-Benz Antifreeze. That helped. It costs a bit more, but seems to improve the cooling a lot. [:D]
First off, A/C is only a dream to me, I don't have it. Pushing it to this level (rpm) is necessary just to go 120-125 km/h, highway speed. My anti-freeze is new M-B stuff, changed in January. So it is running a bit hot then you conclude? Where to next?

Thanks though Ed,

Steve

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
Sometimes having the antifreeze in excess of 50% to water can cause heat problems. Did you...

Sometimes having the antifreeze in excess of 50% to water can cause heat problems. Did you check your thermostat? (very frequently overlooked) Worn out, corroded or gunked up impeller blades on the water pump can affect coolant circulation and cause you to run hot. Old radiator hoses can also cause problems if they are too soft. You also want to make sure every bit of air is purged from your cooling system. Air combined with soft radiator hoses can actually cause them to collapse and kink off the flow of coolant.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Red Line Water Wetter

In extreme cases, like racing, this is a solution to high temps. This added to your radiator takes ALL
oxygen out of the system so that more coolant makes contact with the engine surface. It wears out after a period of time usually three to four month. They have a web site for their products. It will not hurt the anti-freeze capabilities of your engine anti-freeze mixture. I have used it for a 1985 300 TD Wagon that I owned.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
10 Posts
my 1985 300d turbo runs very hot also. I think i may try to run marsolve through the pipe...

my 1985 300d turbo runs very hot also. I think i may try to run marsolve through the pipes to see if that can clear them out and get a better flow of coolant. This car also has a compleatly different cooling system than may other cars because it was made for California emissions. I think it is just the nature of the d class

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.