Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum threads for information on this subject and can't seem to loacate any so I'm putting this out there hoping someone can enlighten me on this issue. I have a 2002 ML55 AMG that I purchased in great shape with 50k on it with complete dealer maintenance records. The vehicle is my daily driver and I have been almost obsessive about engine maintenance. I have actually changed the Mobile 1 synthetic oil every 3k with the filter (yep its expensive and yep I'm crazy). Now with 107k on the vehicle the oil is still clear between oil changes and there is no oil use between changes. However on startup there is a distinct tapping coming from under the hood. Engine performance seems unaffected but the tapping is driving me crazy. I have no faith in my dealer so I turn to those I can trust to help me understand the reason for the tapping. Once warm it almost completely goes away and is not noticable (except to an obsessive individual like me). I have owned and worked on Mercedes since the 1960's but am the first to admit the technology is beyond me. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Vince

·
Registered
2002 ML55 AMG, 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe Limited, 1999 C280
4,714 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem.

When I had this problem it signalled that an oil and filter change was due.

You say however that you have been changing your oil regularly.

One then has to ask:

• Which type of oil viscosity was used?
  • Which type of oil filter was used?
Members on here swear by a particular type of oil viscosity which I believe to be Mobil 1 0W 40 with a FLEECE filter.

ALSO which part of the world do you live? I ask because the oil viscosity suitable in a colder climate may not necessarily suit a warmer cliamte.

I used 5W 30 oil with a fleece filter; but I live out in West Africa were it is often 32 degrees centigrade in the shade.

I'm no expert but I'm sure you'll hear from others soon.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
ps.

I was searching on this issue for you and found a post by you on the same issue.

In that post you say you bought the truck with 63,000 miles on it and NOW in this post you state you bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it.

Please explain the discrepancy.

My point is: Are you telling us the TRUTH in THIS post?

You state in this post that you change the oil religiously et etc..

Members can only help you if you tell the truth and nothing but the whole truth.:)

·
Registered
94 S420 RIP 2/8/13 02 ML55AMG, 06 CLS55AMG, 89 Mas. 228, 84 Por. 911 Carrera, 93 Toyota t.t. Supra
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may have been a post about the S420 I own. This is the first I have posted about the AMG and it is the only other Mercedes Benz I own. And it is the truth I can assure you. I live in Pennsylvania use Mobile 0-40 with a K & N filter. I traced the issue with the S class and was very satisfied with the info I received. Thanks for your assistance.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
I would do two thing:

1) a cheapie "seafoam + dino" oil change, run that short term, then drain it out and do a correct Mobil1+filter... there are passages in the engine/head that can get clogged especially not knowing the previous owner. I am not a fan of agressive addtitives, but beat the long wait on other additives.

2) Clean the purge valve with MAF cleaner and re-check the hose connections to that valve

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
vvrjrlaw: If you click on your name and then on "find other post by you", you will find that you posted on this issue on 7-21. Remember now?

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
It may have been a post about the S420 I own. This is the first I have posted about the AMG and it is the only other Mercedes Benz I own. And it is the truth I can assure you. I live in Pennsylvania use Mobile 0-40 with a K & N filter. I traced the issue with the S class and was very satisfied with the info I received. Thanks for your assistance.
I wasn't aware that K&N make oil filters - I was only aware of their air filters - One learns something new everyday.:)

I'm not sure as to the quality/appropriateness of the K&N oil filters for the ML but I do know that a fleece oil filter is the one most members recommend; probably because it captures and retains all the dirt in the engine more effectively.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for the assistance. I will begin checking out the truck based the forum's advice, hopefully its nothing major.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
FAR,
The K&Ns are just repacked Mann filters at a ridiculous price.
Thanks for that Noodles - I suppose we pay extra for the lovely colours and the 'K&N' decals on the exterior of the filter!:p

ps.

Mickey, thanks for the link.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,217 Posts
It is just the pretty box. It even has the same paper info insert in the box and the Mann
numbers on the filter. I have two of them sitting here. I also have 4 Manns. 3 MBs in the
family all take the same filter so I have a few. Also about 50 quarts of the Mobil One.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts