Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I had a terrible misfortune with my beloved Mercedes-Benz C180 1997 model sedan yesterday. The cam shaft stopped moving, which usually means that the chain (whatever it is called in English) is broken.
Anyway, this means that I must most likely put in a new engine.
Now, the simplest solution is to stick in one that is just like the old one (M111.920) but I figure that it'd be cool with something that is not the smallest engine.
So my question is: is it any more trouble to install any other M111 variant?
I can get a 200 at a fair price, but how about a 230 kompressor for example?
Is there any re-programming that must be done?

Additional information for those interested:
The car has run just over 300.000km and there has been almost no problems until now. I've only changed the two coils (one last December and one just a few months ago). Regular oil change.
There has been some tic-tic type noise from the engine for the past few months, but I thought it was only valve noise. I should have listened to my wife, who said that it could well be the register chain, as we call it here in Norway.

And here is a motivational photography of the car in its former glory:

·
Registered
271 Posts
any engine in the 202 range will fit
but the least hassle is to stick with the lower end i.e. c180-c230(non kompressor) as your tranny will take the load fine

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like I may get my hands on a 230 engine from an E-class. It'll be an M111.970 then. Will it still fit like a glove even if it comes from a W210? I figure it ought to, but I haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allright, now I have aquired an M111.970 engine (2,3 liter) and will proceed to install it in my C180 as soon as I'm able.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do. I plan to take some photos as well.
Schedule is rather busy though, so I can only hope to be done before Christmas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First steps were taken last night, now I have removed the radioator.

Anyone know what these things on the radiator are?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
An update:

Christmas prep has taken up much time and too little time is left for working on the car.
So far I have removed pretty much everything - only things remaining are the bolts connecting the transmission, and the engine mounts themselves. Then I can lift out the engine. This won't happen until next year though.
Here is how it looked last time I had time to work (which is more than a week ago I think).

The details aren't very enlightening, I'm pretty much working according to the Haynes manual.
I have found heaps of dirt around the engine though, so it'll be nice to clean things up before I put the new engine in there.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I'm not sure if you have already planned on this or not, but while you have the motor out you should take the opportunity to replace your engine mounts as well as all the coolant hoses - you've got 15 year old rubber everywhere in the car and you wont get another opportunity as good as this to replace this stuff. Your radiator should go too, judging by the photos.

Good luck and keep updating us.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I had another go last night, and finally got the engine out of the car.

And today I bought new engine mounts.

More work ahead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello again,
Yesterday I took off the bottom of the engine (I don't know what it's called in English), this part:

And it has glue under the original seal. Should I scrape off the glue before fitting on to the new engine (whose bottom is ruptured, alas); and should I also glue the new seal on?
(I don't even know if "seal" is the right word, I mean the thin thing which sits between this part in the photo, and the engine itself)

And anyway here is a photo of the broken timing chain:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a photo of the new engine, there is some sand in there. I've cleaned away the worst bits.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello,

Last night I put the "new" engine into the engine bay. Still lots more work to do, but it feels good to have come this far.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looks good
the bottom part is called a sump and I'm guessing that the glue is there to hold the seal (i think it's called a gasket) in place when you are putting it back on

btw, how did the sand get there?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good
the bottom part is called a sump and I'm guessing that the glue is there to hold the seal (i think it's called a gasket) in place when you are putting it back on
OK.
The sump is mounted now, with a new seal and no glue.

btw, how did the sand get there?
Well, the engine I bought was from a crashed W210, and in the crash he'd managed to crack open the sump and some dirt had got in there.
Also the engine mount on one side had broken, and the bracket for the AC compressor had also broken. I took these parts from my old engine, and hope that nothing else is broken on the new engine. :cool:

Today BTW I got the new seal for the exhaust manifold.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts