Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
A local guy claims that the part with green arrow could be an A/C compressor. Right or wrong? I guess wrong

·
Registered
1982 380SEC, 2014 ML350 4Matic
53 Posts
Looks right. My AC compressor is on the left side. I believe the right side has an air or smog pump. Mine is there, but not hooked up.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,028 Posts
The two arrows are pointing to an ac compressor and the ac muffler as stated by a couple others on here.

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Some more help needed. As mentioned earlier, these engines is a bit more advanced than a V8-engine from the 60s, so I ask if some can define what the arrowed(with numbers) parts are, on one of tha attached pictures.

When it comes to part nr 1, the question is just whether it is the return tube or the delivery tube.

I could of course study the enginemanual with 6-700 pages, but if some has much knowledge about what these parts are, it should be quit easy.

Can the distributor from the 380 be used on the 500? As one of the attached pictures shows, the mounting part of the original dist. is broken.

Happy new year!

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 500sel 1991 300sel
45 Posts
#1 Fuel in or out

#2 air tube from air pump

#3 vacuum check valve

#4 Fuel pressure regulator

#5 Cruise Control Module

#6 Idle air motor

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the help so far. Replacing the engine is delayed partially caused by a death in my family, it happened 9 months ago.

Now the time is approaching for removing the old M116 engine and autotransmission. So what is the easiest way to to it? Engine /trans together or separated?

The M117 and the related trans is now separated. Should they be built to one unit before installing?

When the M117-engine was removed from the 500 SE together with the trans, the similar body part which the orange arrows are pointing at, was cutted away. That car was wreck so it was logical to do it. I guess its possible to get the engine/trans out of the 380 without cutting away this body part, just doing it with some more patience and time

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Then its soon time to get the new timing parts installed, including new chain, rails, and camshaft sprockets in the 500-engine

One of the challenges is getting the chain and distributor sprocket installed correctly. I am pretty sure that neither the camshafts nor the crank has been rotated after the timing chain cover and the internal parts were removed, the camshafts are in position so that the marks on the cams align with the marks on the heads

Most manuals/websites explain how a timing chain with a masterlink and the upper register parts should be replaced with the timing case cover on. Anyone have any tips / advice on how to install an endless chain with the cover off?

Questions are, for example, where the chain should be tight and where it can be loose, and in which order to install the camshaft sprockets and the return sprocket to get it tight, and intermediate sprocket and the chain to, get it correct

Photo #1 shows a how the 500-engine is now

Photo #2 shows that the top gasket on one side was slightly damaged when the cover was removed. A good sealant should fix that I guess

IMG_20191209_162517.jpg IMG_20191209_161317P.jpg

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,191 Posts
Here are some pdfs from the MBCDs that should asist some I should think..

05-320 - Replacing timing chain
05-340 - Removal and installation of slide rails
05-434 - Removal and installation of intermediate gear for distributor drive
05-330 - Removal and installation of tension rail
05-310 - Removal and installation of chain tensioner
05-215 - Checking and adjusting camshaft timing

Big job..

Cheers

MBL

Attachments

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks MBL87560SEC. Interesting selection of pages from the manual, have it on my PC also

Is it best to install the chain in the same or opposite direction? Doing it this way, without a master link, allows to do it without rotating the engine. The camsprockets and cranksprocket will not move while installing the chain

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,191 Posts
You know, I have never done it myself, certainly not alone.. I cannot comment on that.

Since looking at your posts, I have been imagining dancing around the motor with the chain draped... :)

I had mine done I think ten or so years ago on the 560SEC.. They gave me a MB loaner car..

I DO remember the ride home from the dealership well! On the entrance ramp to the highway home, I just floored it to first gear, then watched the tach wave up to each shiftpoint with that engine at full song! I wasn't worried any more!

It changed the way I feel about that carnthat day!

M.

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
A bit late to write it now, but Happy new year!

Now the swap planning has begun. In spite both the engines are pre facelift (82/84), the management system (wires, vacuum, sensors, switches etc) arent 100% identical, but quite identical

At passengers side (P) the thermo time switch is IMG_20200113_173946.jpg on both engines. But only M117 has an extra thermopart IMG_20200113_173842.jpg on drivers side(D)

On the M116/380SEC, its a plug instead IMG_20200113_173853.jpg at same location. What is this thermopart (red arrow)? The 380SEC hasnt a wire for this part, will it affect the performance much?

To more things:

The M117 has two thermovalves IMG_20200113_174440.jpg and the red is broken. The M116 has only one, a white one. Can this be used in place for the the red one? What function have these valves?

Beneath the intake on the M117, there is a black wire Bilde.jpg which points forward and has a brown and grean wire inside IMG_20200113_175440.jpg

M116 hasnt this wire. Whan is this and can it eventually be terminated without affecting the performance much?

Many questions here, thanks for any useful replies(y)

Attachments

·
Registered
380 sel
348 Posts
Placed the two engines side by side. Effectively you are dropping a different motor into a set up with predetermined electrical and vacuum connections so you need to make the new match the pre-existing sensors. I suggest you swap the blanking Bolt from the 380 to the 500. Can't quite see where the black cable goes but it looks like the one to the throttle.

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC A/T Euro
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
The blanking bolt can be swapped, but assume letting it be like it is without connecting any wire to the 1-pole sensor would also work. The M117 is newer and bigger; it is more advanced with more sensors and switches. It may happen that the M117 will "miss" some signals from sensors/switches which can affect the performance

By searching, I found out that the red thermoswitch is for the charcoal canister, which the 82' 380SEC doesnt have following post #7 in this thread:

Charcoal canister vacuume It can therefore be removed

The black wire is connected to the throttle position switch, the M116 must also have it, just having another route than the wire on the M117

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,543 Posts
Yes those thermoswitches are in the archives, well done for searching. No problem with ditching that function unless it's required in your country.

·
Registered
380 sel
348 Posts
The M116 does have the connector. It sits on the left side of the engine bay near the headlight. This pdf that MBL posted is also very handy. It shows both ends of that cable.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 42 Posts